• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

2nd Try at Sauce-pretty good!

My second attempt at hot sauce and I am very pleased, thanks to a lot of good advice from you guys on THP.

Red Habaneros, mangos, garlic, carrots, white vinegar, cumin, dark brown sugar, salt and cardamon. I made a mash with the habs and let them sit in the vinegar for a week. I used frozen mangos, as suggested. I cooked the peppers and mangos for about 30 minutes then pureed in the blender, cooked some more with the spices and sugar then sent everything through a food mill and bottled it up.

I think the flavor and the heat are really good. The only thing I am disappointed in is that its a little thicker than I wanted. Is there a fix for that that wont mess up the flavor?

Thanks to all the suggestions and thanks for looking.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The only fixes I'd suggest:

maybe it cooked down to long and got too thick?  or maybe use the fine mesh screen of the food mill?  it will remove a good deal of your pulp, but it will not change your flavor or pH at all.  You'll end up with a thinner sauce (might need to use orifice reducer) that will taste exactly the same.  

great color on the sauce, looks like a pretty good thickness to me.  :)

SmokenFire said:
The only fixes I'd suggest:

maybe it cooked down to long and got too thick?  or maybe use the fine mesh screen of the food mill?  it will remove a good deal of your pulp, but it will not change your flavor or pH at all.  You'll end up with a thinner sauce (might need to use orifice reducer) that will taste exactly the same.  

great color on the sauce, looks like a pretty good thickness to me.   :)
What about add water and reheat another 15 minutes?

Hawaiianero said:
I agree, add water. But it seems as though you've already bottled it. So if you're willing to remove the sauce from every bottle and boil it for another 20-30 minutes, I don't think the flavor would change much at all.

Tip: If you go ahead with emptying the bottles, I'd add a little water to every empty bottle and swish with the lid closed, then pour this into the same pot as the sauce. This will help to remove more of the sauce from the inside of the bottles and add water at the same time. 

If the sauce ends up too thin, just continue simmering until you're happy. Just remember, hot (temperature speaking) sauces will thicken once cool, even more so with sweet sauces. 

Oh, and don't forget to re sterilize everything. 

Good luck, 

SR.

JohnsMyName said:
+1 to everything SF said. Adding any liquid to thin it would change flavor.
Great job on the sauce, looks and sounds great!
Now you need to make some labels, that's one of my favorite parts! :)
I have some labels made but have held off on putting them on because I have been considering trying to thin it a little. Thanks for the response.
Hawaiianero said:

Shorerider said:
I agree, add water. But it seems as though you've already bottled it. So if you're willing to remove the sauce from every bottle and boil it for another 20-30 minutes, I don't think the flavor would change much at all.

Tip: If you go ahead with emptying the bottles, I'd add a little water to every empty bottle and swish with the lid closed, then pour this into the same pot as the sauce. This will help to remove more of the sauce from the inside of the bottles and add water at the same time. 

If the sauce ends up too thin, just continue simmering until you're happy. Just remember, hot (temperature speaking) sauces will thicken once cool, even more so with sweet sauces. 

Oh, and don't forget to re sterilize everything. 

Good luck, 

SR.
I'm going to give this a try. Shouldn't need too much water. I know what you mean about rinsing out the bottles. I emptied the bottles in my first batch because I forgot to put in the orifice reducer and I lost a half bottle on only 5 wooziness.

Thanks!

Back