• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Basic Ferment

I had a bunch of Chillies that I didn't know what to do with. I already have plenty frozen, so I thought I'd try another ferment to preserve them.

I don't know quite what I'm going to do with this yet, but once they're preserved, I can take my time to decide!

200g Bubblegum7\Moruga\Chocolate Bhut\Yellow Brain
400g Bell Pepper - Orange & Yellow
18g salt
Whey starter

http://justsimon.co.uk

IMG_2452.jpg

As John mentioned I do like garlic in my ferments. But it looks like you've got a great combo there.
The bells add a good amount of sugar for the bacteria to feed on. Are you using an air lock. And some liquid for brine. I use white zin or distilled water. I like some brine solution it helps when processing and I never need additional liquid when processing to get the right consistency. If to lose just cook to desired thickness.

How will you prep your mash smaller pieces allows for more surface area to react with fermentation. Some folks go with larger pieces. I've had the best results using a ground mash.
How long will you let run my recommendation is no less then 45 days and even better at 90.

Good luck keep us posted on your process my friend!! :)
simon04 said:
I was thinking of a savoury sauce, so may add carrots and onions afterwards.
That works great. Try roasting the veg first makes a major difference. Especially for savory flavor profile.

No Garlic??

I added a half cup of water and blended the whole thing. The consistency is nice. It's in a large jar with airlock.

I wasn't sure if a pepper-only ferment would be interesting enough. So I figured I might process the sauce afterwards, or make additions to the ferment.

Could do garlic too. Do you mean oven roast or BBQ roast?

simon04 said:
I added a half cup of water and blended the whole thing. The consistency is nice. It's in a large jar with airlock.

I wasn't sure if a pepper-only ferment would be interesting enough. So I figured I might process the sauce afterwards, or make additions to the ferment.

Could do garlic too. Do you mean oven roast or BBQ roast?
Lots of members including myself have done pepper ferments only. They finish with a super clean pepper flavor. Excellent on its own or great for a base for any style sauce you're looking to make. Sweet citrus, savory, Asian etc
I've roasted on my grill for sauces that I want the flavor profile of grilled vegetables. And for a clean roasted flavor I use the oven doesn't impart any additional flavors like the grill. Oh I don't use propane so I can't tell you if that would make any difference.

Do not open your ferments once they've been closed up!!!! If that's the case just wait and add during final processing. Never Open A Running Ferment! :)

Simon, next ferment try putting all of your ingredients through the fermentation process. Some amazing changes happen in that jar. As an example, when I make my Jamaican style hot sauce I raisins, sweet potato, sweet onion, there are a lot of sugars in there. After the fermentation process is complete and the sugars are gone you can still taste and smell the fruit however it's more of a savory sauce but all the flavors are there. Then I add a little pineapple during final processing to bring just a touch of sweetness back into it. Point is, be creative and think out side the box. If you think something can't be done, try it. Maybe it can and no one has thought to try it before.

Cheers Brother,
RM

Back