• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2016 Grow Log

The 2016 chile pepper growing season is over for me.  I had an indoor aphid infestation that I couldn’t get rid of, so I had to throw out all of my plants.  There was already extensive leaf damage and I couldn’t figure out how to stop it.  If I decide to grow hot peppers this year, I’ll buy some starter plants to put out in the garden.

I caused the problem.  The critters either came from a plant or a cutting that I brought in from the outside.  I bought some spray that is designed to kill the pests, but either my bugs or eggs were immune to the solution, so I had to throw all of the plants out.

I just threw out the last plant, a chocolate Bhut Jolokia, which resided in a 5 gallon paint bucket filled with soil.  The situation has been mildly traumatic for me as these were my babies—I grew all of them from seed and except for the Chocolate Bhut, I had saved the seeds myself, from previous plant generations.  Some of the plants were quite big.

I have plenty of time before the spring to start new plants, but am taking a rest from growing for a while.

To be quite honest, I am treating the situation as a blessing in disguise.  As I was spraying the plants with the insecticide, I was secretly hoping that the bugs would come back, as this would lesson my responsibilities, as well as lessen the load on my wallet.  With the florescent lights no longer running 17 hours a day, I’m saving a lot on monthly electric bills.  I’m also saving by not having to buy soil and other supplies.  I no longer have to try and block the light from my bedroom, to avoid being awakened by the strong light, when the timer kicks in at 6:20 A.M.  I no longer have to shield my eyes from the light when I enter the living room.  I no longer have to worry about watering schedules when I am away for more than a few days.  I no longer have to worry about having a friend available to pick ripening pods if I am away. 

I’m sure that one day, I’ll be in a living situation more suited to growing peppers from scratch, but for now, this is too burdensome to continue doing in my city apartment.  It has been a ton of fun growing—this past year was my 9th year growing peppers and my most productive season, but it is time to give the hobby a rest.  It has also been a ton of fun making videos, making hot sauces, and sharing all of the pictures.

If I decide to buy starter plants in May, I'll continue this glog, but for now it is dead.

The 2016 season continues with some outside plants.  I wanted to buy superchiles as they grow well in my garden with its less than ideal lighting situation, but I couldn't find any in local nursery, so I bought some Tabasco starters:

revP5ft.jpg

1mayzjp.jpg

6GjKBZO.jpg

VbUt952.jpg

Back