• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

QuadShotz's Rockin' Horse Sauce

QuadShotz

Banned
QuadShotz's Rockin' Horse Sauce

The Ingredients.

S6301465.JPG

• 6-8 Orange Habaneros (depending on size, mine were big)
  • 1/2 Sweet Onion
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 of a lime, peeled.
  • 1 cup Hwa Young Vinegar (rice vinegar)
  • 2 tsp. Sugar (preferably Turbinado or "raw" sugar)
  • 3 tsp. Wasabi paste
  • 1 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1 tsp. Garlic-Pepper Salt

Mix up the Wasabi with warm water in a small container to make a paste (if it's the powder kind as I have) and cover.

Dice up the habs and onions. Put in a food processor.
Whack the garlic to crush and peel, also add in.

Chop the the lime into smaller pieces if your knife is sharp enough
to do so without mashing it, otherwise just throw it in too.

Puree until semi-smooth. My Cuisinart does it in about 1 minute.

S6301469.JPG

In a saucepan combine the pepper puree with the rest of the ingredients and
bring to a boil while stirring often. A wooden or plastic utensil is recommended.

Once at a boil, lower heat, and simmer covered for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
It should be bubbling along but not boiling as it'll burn.

S6301470.JPG

After that time, the sauce should be thickening up and blending nicely.

Take sauce and carefully pour into a blender leaving top on but cap ajar so it won't blow up from the heat.
Puree until desired consistancy. I like seeing a few bits in the sauce, but it's up to you.

Pour into a sterilized jar and refridgerate.

S6301477.JPG

Makes approx. 6-7 ounces. (I probably shoulda scraped the blender more...)

There ya have it. ;-)

I'm still refining this, but it's been pretty fun so far. It gets better after a day or so melding the flavors together.

The rice vinegar I use is 6.5% acidity, so it's goes a good long ways without making it too tart.

Any thoughts?

-QS

That looks real good and yummy Quad, what kind of heat range would you say it would be?

Also- off topic, do you like Tabasco? If so add about 30ml of Jersey Death to a 150ml bottle (after you use a bit), it will add about 200,000 schovilles to the heat! Real nice.

Novacastrian said:
That looks real good and yummy Quad, what kind of heat range would you say it would be?

Also- off topic, do you like Tabasco? If so add about 30ml of Jersey Death to a 150ml bottle (after you use a bit), it will add about 200,000 schovilles to the heat! Real nice.

I'd say it's a pretty decent hab type heat..the wasabi adds a fun bit to it. Thes habs are pretty warm so I'd say at least Savina heat level. Fun part is the mix of types of burn.

I'm not much of a Tobasco or extract fan, but I have fun mixing stuff too. :)

I had it on my eggs & toast this morning and it was yummers.

I think I either need to put in more wasabi, or to add it in post-cooking somehow as it's not as prominent as I expected. Still good stuff though. :)

Water as an indredient! :P
Just a tip, there's no need to add water to the wasabi powder, since your sauce has liquid, just use the powder.

Back