• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Crunchiest thick walled pepper?

Hey, what do you guys think the crunchiest, thick walled pepper is? looking for something similar to a criolla sella for pickling

Ñora is a crunchy, thick walled, low heat vatiety with a good taste.

Gilthefish said:
Hey, what do you guys think the crunchiest, thick walled pepper is? looking for something similar to a criolla sella for pickling
Similar to criolla Sella in what way? Criolla Sella is a thin walled pepper that is moderately seedy.

Tepin X Lemon Drop is what I'm going to be pickling with. Relatively thick-walled, crunchy, juicy. Delicious flavor and has the perk of looking kinda like traditional pickling 'cherry peppers'.

CAPCOM said:
Similar to criolla Sella in what way? Criolla Sella is a thin walled pepper that is moderately seedy.
Mmmm, i might have a weird one but i find it quite thick walled relative to its size, much thicker than the aji limon and habs i grow. I also find it quite crunch and juicy in comparison. it does defenitly does have quite afew seeds though.

Gilthefish said:
Mmmm, i might have a weird one but i find it quite thick walled relative to its size, much thicker than the aji limon and habs i grow. I also find it quite crunch and juicy in comparison. it does defenitly does have quite afew seeds though.
Might be something other than CS then. I grew then last season and enjoyed them very much. pics would be very beneficial in proper id if in fact that is in error.

Hot Cherry peppers are the crunchiest and thickest walled in my view.  Like a mini bell pepper but with heat and they are very sweet of course. 

Maligator said:
I know it's not like the criolla sella, but the rocoto/locoto/manzano are thick walled crunchy peppers...just throwing that out there.

I was thinking of voting for that one, because it does meet the description and it's delicious. I only got one fruit from my Giant Mexican Rocoto last season :( Hopefully this year will be better now that I overwintered it. Overwintered quite well too, which makes me think this plant prefers cooler temps than my other peppers.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I only got one fruit from my Giant Mexican Rocoto last season :( Hopefully this year will be better now that I overwintered it. Overwintered quite well too, which makes me think this plant prefers cooler temps than my other peppers.
I purchased a red & an orange rocoto plants from CCN this year. My intent is to overwinter both plants in my grow tent and see what happens.

I'll also be trying to find seeds for a few other pubescens for next year's start. I'm thinking they will handle the cooler late summer / early fall temperatures here in Michigan.

Back