• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

days to maturity

so if it says a plant takes 180 days to maturity, at what point would that start at? from the time it gets its first set of true leaves or what?

I have no idea, I count from the day it sprouts but I know nothing lol 

Unfortunately there is no standard definition, however most sources work on the general agreement that
  1. If you start the seed indoors and transplant it into your garden, start counting from when you transplant. This holds true for transplant you purchase, also.
  2. If you direct sow it in the garden, start counting when the seed germinates, which is usually within a week or two of planting. Some gardeners prefer to wait until the true leaves appear, which should be within another week.
That said, these are only general guidelines. All kinds of cultural factors will impact the actual number of days to maturity. Weather is the biggest influence. Cold weather can cause seedlings to slow their growth and perhaps even stunt it. Plants that prefer cooler temperatures can bolt to seed quickly.

Yea, the 'Days' rating is nothing more than a comparative guideline.
While actual time from seed to ripe fruit will vary greatly with climate, nutrition, etc., in similar conditions a faster plant will be...faster.

I've had some of mine take longer than 365 days by keeping them stunted indoors in solo cups for a long time :D Are you worried about a short growing season? I can suggest some Chinense and Baccatums that were early producers for me if you want.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I've had some of mine take longer than 365 days by keeping them stunted indoors in solo cups for a long time :D Are you worried about a short growing season? I can suggest some Chinense and Baccatums that were early producers for me if you want.
Share the info. But, if he has a short growing season in Dallas then us "Northerners" are really in trouble ;)

Back