• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Shirts vs. Skins, tank tops and showers

Sometimes I feel like I was dropped off by the mother ship just yesterday.  I often walk threw this world slack jawed.  Got the kids on the bus this AM, sat down for my coffee and medicine.  Waiting for the two to kick in before I go to the field or get other things done.  Just about to get to work, phone rings.  Its the school.  They insist that I bring my son a pair of shoes.  Not because he had a blow out or anything, no flapping sole.  No, I was ordered to bring a new pair of shoes because his were 'inappropriate'.  He was wearing crocks, which is OK.  But he took the straps off the back because they were chafing.  Evidently, there is a rule against shoes that dont have a strap on the back.

My first thought was: And they make parents LEAVE WORK to bring in appropriate shoes?  This can not be real.  So I looked it up in the student / parent hand book.  Yes.  You can bring them what they need to meet dress code or the child will be sent home, which again causes a parent to LEAVE WORK.  OK, I can pull that off cause I am more or less my own boss.  But what about parents who have to commute to a regular job?  So I keep reading the dress code.

Tank tops are not allowed, not even for gym class.  In fact, you wear the same cloths all day, gym included.  Yes, they have track and field.  There are no changing rooms, no showers, what the hell?  Seriously?  When I was in school, if you did not shower and change after gym you were taunted cause you were stinky.  Now for the one that really gets me, when we played shirts against skins more people had to put on shirts than take them off.

We generally wore shorts (not allowed now) and tank tops (not allowed now) and typically took off our tank tops and put the in our waste line.  We used our shirts as sweat rags cause we would shower after and then get back in our regular cloths.

Seriously, what is happening that kids cant wear tanks, shorts, or take showers?  Oh, and there are no swimming classes anymore, even if the school has a pool.

Yup.  More reasons to homeschool.  

I have talked with the fiance about it, and we are seriously considering homecshooling our children if at all possible.  I am working to get to a position so she can stay home, or unless she gets a lucky job opportunity and can support us.  

Then I will get to stay home and farm + homeschool. 

Vicious Vex said:

I have talked with the fiance about it, and we are seriously considering homecshooling our children if at all possible.  I am working to get to a position so she can stay home, or unless she gets a lucky job opportunity and can support us.  

A woman I've known since childhood that I grew up with moved to Montana had three kids and home schooled them. She came down to visit her family, so I said I would take the two boys (one 11 and the other 8) shark fishing. Although I'm thinking to myself unless bluegill fishing these kids are gonna run out of patience and be lil' rascals, like most normal kids theses days. Sometimes it takes awhile for sharks to pick up the scent and start biting. To my surprise these lil dudes had all the patience in the world. The sharks were slow to show up this day, but they stayed focused and were even interested in learning the knots I used. These lil' dudes were some of the best behaved most intelligent and patient kids I've ever seen in my life. We caught one stingray and one shark that day and they were awesome lil' kids from the time I picked them up to time I dropped them off. There is definitely something to be said for home schooling in this day and age IMO

We would home school, but I do not have the discipline to provide a proper framework.  I have looked into K-12 online, like it, but can not afford it.  Kentucky is not one of the states that has figured out paying a home school service is cheaper than paying for a public education.

Still, we do something called daddy school.  Things that the schools are not teaching that I think are vital.  It is so damn weird to live this rural and find out the things no longer taught.  When I was a kid, I remember health class included firemen coming in and showing us things like blasting caps and dynamite.  Kids really do find things like that in the woods and the old stuff is still very dangerous, maybe more so.  Then there's things like electricity and water.  Things that we all seem to know today, but doubt parents are teaching.  Always whittle or otherwise use a knife away from your body comes to mind.  I learned that one on my own.

Vicious Vex said:

I agree the education system is starting to become toxic.  Homeschool seems to be a good thing, my wife and I are looking into.  My wife was homeschooled (well a mix of some pub but mostly home), she turned out all right ;)

Musky, no it is a public school with a modesty rules.  They seem to be pushed by the PTA.  The folk who tend to join the PTA are the type that think if you ban short skirts for the girls, you have to ban short pants for the boys.  Thing that bugs the hell out of me about the modesty rules is they are all connected to sex.  They seem to think that if you show too much of your flesh, that means you are a slut.  That or you are asking for it.  It just bugs me cause ya know, it might mean it is frigging hot outside.

fiveohmike said:

I dont trust anyone who doesnt like bacon.
I am a vegetarian.  You are right to be paranoid.  We have secret meetings and everything.  The world will bow to soy!

Back