• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How much pod differentiation on one plant?

This question is for my own curiosity rather than a current issue I'm facing (first grow this year!). How different can pods on a single plant be?

For an early cross will you have pods with many different combinations of characteristics from both parents?

On a plant that has been stable for many generations (red savina or bhut jolokia, for example) how different will pods from the same plant be?

Thanks!

Generally the very first pods to be produced may not look like the following fruits. For that reason you should not draw a conclusion that the plant you grew may not be what you thought. after the first fruits though, things should get more stable. As long as you maintain consistantly good growing conditions.

All from the same Yellow 7-Pot/King Naga cross (F1) plant last season.

These were picked in early October.

IMG_20151011_090846958.jpg

Nothing in nature is truly stable. Even a stable breed every now and then kicks out a weirdo now and then. It's a mechanism of survival deep down in the DNA of everything.

Mutations aside, the more you inbreed a particular genetic (choosing plants with the same phenotypes to use for the next generation) the more "stable" the plant will be and more 'likely' that the pods will look, taste, and feel the same as the parent plant.

That being said, it is entirely a probability game and even with a truly heirloom/inbred genetic, you could still result in a different phenotype within a large enough sample group of progeny.

In other words, ven being heirloom or inbred line, there is still a % chance (small as it may be) of one of the seeds expressing itself differently.

breeding%20probabilities_zpslqrx8heb.jpg

The far right column is the % chance of expressing the same pheno as the parent

Here is the source, which gives a semi-lengthy explanation of the above table: link

(the link is for tomatoes, but same concept applies)

Enriching the table above:

ho·mo·zy·gote

ˌhōməˈzīɡōt,ˌhäməˈzīɡōt/

noun
Genetics

plural noun: homozygotes

1. an individual having two identical alleles of a particular gene or genes and so breeding true for the corresponding characteristic.

Edit: PS - I know you were asking about how different individual pods from the same plant will be after breeding a line. My answer to that is if the line was bred to have uniform pods, then F5 and on should all have uniform pod shapes... at least 9 out of 10 plants. If the plant was bred only for flavor or heat, then it may very well have differing pod shapes, even if it has been bred to F5 and beyond.

It all boils down to the breeder, how they bred the line and what their goals were (and of course, chance)

I'm doing a purple pheno hunt in my GLOG this and next year, but was thinking about breeding purple plants. Breeding for color only makes it very easy since I can toss/donate seedlings without having to grow out the plants to maturity to taste the fruit. Just BARELY starting out, but if anyone is interested, http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60479-mrggs-purple-playground/

Back