• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

unripe hab sauce

since I got a great deal on some orange,red habs w/caribbean reds the other day (12 lbs for $25 :cool:) to bad most of'em were unripe.
most of'em were dried & into powder, but made this sauce with some & plan on making another sauce with the dried powder sometime soon.

heres the ingredients I used - 50 chiles, added 1 more lime, added some cinnamon (not in pic late add in) & didnt use all of the other ingredients (well I did but not all of each ingredient just some of each)

DSCF1661.jpg

heres finished product, I've used a little of it already & it tastes really good but could use a little tweek & yes it has a good deal of heat to it (but would like to try again with the chile powder in the hopes for the heat to be more concentrated in a smaller batch but still all natural)
I'm leaving it sit for a week or two for the flavors to blend in.

DSCF1678.jpg

i made a sauce the other week that came out that colour. I'm still not sure if it's any good! It's maturing but i have a little bit of a tester now and again, and i still can't decide on it as it tastes diff everytime and diff on diff foods!! May end up using it as an additive to meal sauce

Chiliac said:
What's that Lemon Grass stuff you have there? Never seen sth like that...
i got this answer.

In alot of the supermarkets now, you can buy "fresh" herbs in a paste form. I have used the cilantro in a tube for guacamole. I've seen the lemongrass as well. It's basically pureed herbs you can squeeze. They taste decent as well. Better than dried, for sure.

fineexampl said:
i got this answer.

In alot of the supermarkets now, you can buy "fresh" herbs in a paste form. I have used the cilantro in a tube for guacamole. I've seen the lemongrass as well. It's basically pureed herbs you can squeeze. They taste decent as well. Better than dried, for sure.
Never had dry Cilantro. sounds weird! :shocked:
BTW, back on da PC! :cool:

fineexampl said:
i got this answer.

I agree. Nice, especially during winter. Thanks for the info!

We make a green habanero sauce like a salsa verde with green habanero's we use the tomatillos,green habs, cilantro, to try and make it more of a green sauce. By the looks of your sauce maybe you could go that way also.

Mick
Kato's

Chiliac said:
I'm a bit surprised about the color, but it looks good nonetheless! What's that Lemon Grass stuff you have there? Never seen sth like that...

the color came from 1 whole banana & some honey, but neither are over powering the sauce.

fineexampl said:
i got this answer.

ditto what he said. I wanted lemongrass for the sauce & this was the easy option :lol: otherwise I'd have to cut up & grind my fresh ones (save those for soup) or buy the canned lemongrass & thats still fiberish/twig like & didnt want that in the sauce.

Back