• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Cross Polination, Good or Bad?

I recently purchased some seeds from the Hippy Seed Company and although they haven't arrived yet I ordered a number of varieties, ten I think - the Chef's selection and World Mix (http://www.comcen.com.au/~rev_neil/seedpacks.htm)

As the weekend is approaching, I thought I'd begin preparing my garden beds and I got to thinking about cross pollinating.

Last year I had a Burkes Backyard chilli bush and a Purple Tiger who decided to be lovers and produce a mutant looking chilli. Unfortunately the Burkes bush was the host and it eventually died leaving a mutant legacy in history.

As I'm getting so many varieties for this season I assume that undoubtably there will be cross pollination. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing in terms of the overall health of the bush?

Should I just whack them all in a garden bed together and have a chilli bed, or should I try to put some distance between them. If so, how much?

If your plants live through the winter where you live then you don't have to worry about cross-pollination, only the seeds will be hybrids.

Damn good point.

However, for us mere mortals, cross pollination is a fact of life. You can plant them miles apart and get hybrid freaks, or plant them on top of each other and get a pure offspring.

A little space is good, but true analness requires bagging flowers on the plant you are interested in.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just plant them in a happy garden together and when a mutant occurs - I'll photograph it and share the moment with you all :)

Having this debate elsewhere to and one person rightly pointed out that the parent plant must be PURE to if you want seeds to have a pure strain..thid debate could go on a long time...:)

Heres a Nice Article iam sure Nat will enjoy to..:)

Prodsementespuras.jpg

Let me see if I understand this then. If I want to use the seeds from my own peppers to make sure they're "pure" I either plant only one type or cover them with the proper equipment to stop cross pollination.

If I've planted several different species in the same area, which I did, then there's no way possible to ensure that any of the seeds I get from the peppers are pure.

So I'm going to be needing some new seed then.

If I were to trade seeds how would I list mine? I've got, Bhut Jolokia, Red Savina, Hot Paper Lantern, Red Habanero, and Cachucha plants all growing next to each other. I bought these seeds from a commercial vendor and this is the first time I've used them. Would they be Bhujoresaviotpapelanterehabancaucha seeds? :lol:

Thanks people.

patrick said:
Let me see if I understand this then. If I want to use the seeds from my own peppers to make sure they're "pure" I either plant only one type or cover them with the proper equipment to stop cross pollination.

If I've planted several different species in the same area, which I did, then there's no way possible to ensure that any of the seeds I get from the peppers are pure.

So I'm going to be needing some new seed then.

If I were to trade seeds how would I list mine? I've got, Bhut Jolokia, Red Savina, Hot Paper Lantern, Red Habanero, and Cachucha plants all growing next to each other. I bought these seeds from a commercial vendor and this is the first time I've used them. Would they be Bhujoresaviotpapelanterehabancaucha seeds? :lol:

Thanks people.

And then do you no the mother plant was pure..can go on forever..just do you best to make sure you buy or get good quality seed and take as many precautions if you want them `Pure` or near pure as you can..one of those questions that asks more questions lol :lol:

You've answered my question, and I couldn't care less about mutant varieties as it just adds a little something unique to your garden - I was just curious.

But now I'm thinking out aloud, what about a cutting? Would a cutting still suffer if it cross bred? I wouldn't think so as you aren't taking a seed from a cross bred pepper. This is assuming the mother plant was pure, and you knew it was pure 100% (somehow) :)

I love growing my plants outside, but I plan on taking the seeds from when I grow indoors for the one's I'll be keeping to give away or keep to plant again down the road. No bees and hand pollinating inside should keep good seeds. Also, IGG....you were cross pollinated? That explains everything...lol!!

rabbit said:
Also, IGG....you were cross pollinated? That explains everything...lol!!
Nope, no cross polentation, 100% Germon on both the male and female parental units. I'm a pure bread...but oddly two seperate mutations have shown up for me :( I'm defective. :oops:

Back