• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Different colors of the same strain question

So I tried to do a search for the answer but maybe I didnt word it right. So the question is when you have say a peach, chocolate, and red ghost pepper in front of you what does the different colors do within the plant? Is there a flavor or heat difference? How did a peach ghost even get created, or can that be natural.

Same for some habs. You have a chocolate hab, then your orange traditional. Is it just flavor?

Thanks in advance.

Chocolates of the same pepper are usually hotter and in my opinion also a better flavor that I prefer. Next are yellows they have a better fruitier flavor over the red and orange counterparts. That has been my experience with habs, bonnets and ghosts.

So its like food and wine pairing. Your reds go with the meats like filet. Your whites or lighters go with chicken and fish. Not exactly, but you get the idea. 

Yes, the different colors often have different flavors and heat levels. Yellows often are sweeter, fruitier and with lower heat levels than reds and chocolates for example. Chocolates can be richer and earthier tasting than reds. As a general rule, the darker pods tend to be hotter, and the lighter colored pods are often sweeter and less hot. But this is only a broad generalization and it is not always true of course. I have had chocolate habs that were very sweet and fruity, more so than an orange hab; and the Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion is a very light colored pod that is screaming hot. So the color can often give you some indicaton, but the only way to really know what a given type is like is to try one for yourself.

There is a different chemical makeup. Take non-pepper fruits, such as lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruits. These four are all citrus fruits and they all share certain chemicals that make them citrus instead of another type of fruit. Their overall construction is fairly identical - segmented, pulpy flesh with a rind/skin. Their seeds are similarly-shaped. But there are one or more chemical differences that make each unique from the other. In fact, it is the chemical that makes oranges uniquely different from the others that I have become allergic to, while I am not allergic to lemons, limes, or grapefruit. You know that the chemical differences/DNA for these citrus fruits makes them different colors, makes them sweet or sour, makes them smaller or larger than the others, and definitely gives them different flavors. You know also that you can cross these four citrus fruits to result in something different from each of the originals.

Same for chile peppers, but add heat as a component difference. But also note that when considering the opinions of others that a) they are generally true for them but there may be exceptions and b) everyone tastes things differently. I personally, in general, find reds to be more flavorful than other colors, and include chocolates in the "red" category, in terms of flavor. (Plus, many chocolates aren't really ripe until they obtain a tint of red within the brown.) However, I absolutely love the flavor of yellow fataliis. That battery-acid taste that D3monic says he gets from chocolates? I tend to get it from some (but not all) chinenses, most definitely from habaneros, and don't know if he's tried chocolates that aren't chinenses. I definitely do not get it from the non-chinense chocolates that I've tried, such as baccatum chocolates. Fruity? I perceive baccatums, in general, to be more fruity than other types. You can see that you're likely to get a million different answers when it comes to taste perception. 

maybe this helps a little..

color
red = distinct
yellow = distinct
whatever +  beta-carotene enhancers = more orange
whatever + beta-carotene reducers = less red
So there are lots of combos of this to get variations in levels of red yellow orange peach etc.

above + chlorophyll retainer = brown / olive, the chlorophyll retainer gives it a tinge of green..

whatever + anthocyanin = purple immature fruits, from extreme like black pearl, to lighter like sangria

whatever + white = white i mature fruits

whatever + multi ripening = large color transition seen in conjunction with white usually. white > purple > orange > red fruits 

flavor - red is normal, yellow is mild, chocolate is savory

capsaicinoid content (throat burn vs mouth burn vs gut burn etc)

geeme said:
 That battery-acid taste that D3monic says he gets from chocolates? I tend to get it from some (but not all) chinenses, most definitely from habaneros, and don't know if he's tried chocolates that aren't chinenses. I definitely do not get it from the non-chinense chocolates that I've tried, such as baccatum chocolates. Fruity? I perceive baccatums, in general, to be more fruity than other types. You can see that you're likely to get a million different answers when it comes to taste perception. 

Not sure i've had a non Chinense chocolate. I know I didn't care for Jamaican hot chocolate or chocolate scotch bonnets. I had some other kind of chocolate and it was the same issue. 

I think the only one i've like so far was yaki brown. 

juanitos said:
whatever + anthocyanin = purple immature fruits, from extreme like black pearl, to lighter like sangria
To clarify here, not only purple peppers contain anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are a variable colour based on acidity and only when the conditions are just right within the pod walls will they take on the blue required to make the fruit appear purple.

Back