• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

how to save seeds for trade??

I have a few good plants that I would like to save the seeds from but I am a little unsure on how this is done.

will it have mattered if I had several different kinds of peppers in the same area??

thanks

shayne

Take the seeds out of a ripe pod, leave them on a plate in the open air, when they are dry, put them in a bag in a cold, dark place for storage.

agree with what IGG and chiliac said...also, I let mine get really ripe, almost "wrinkley" on the plant...just to make sure the seeds are mature...

Paper towels are great just put your seeds in between 2 sheets then n a plate paper or ceramic and leave in a dark cool environment for a week or so :)

If I was going to save seeds to trade, I would be very careful about cross pollination.

For my own use, I'll pluck a couple two or three peppers of the type I want to save, run a thread through the stem and hang them to dry. If they have crossed, it's no big deal.

Mike

scrape the seeds from a ripe pod, & lable a coffee filter & then wrap the seeds in the filter, seems to dry them well, corss pollination will happen but my experience is that it is a low percentage. For safty sake i keep the Jolokias in the front of the house so they stay pure.

shayneyasinski said:
I have a few good plants that I would like to save the seeds from but I am a little unsure on how this is done.

will it have mattered if I had several different kinds of peppers in the same area??

thanks

shayne

Hi Shayne
I must say that it matters a lot if you want to breed genetic pure peppers. There's a lot of cross-pollination between capsicums, unfortunately, as I have read, it can reach the 90%. Annums and Chinenses are the most propitious to cross. They say that to be fairly sure that your peppers won't cross, you should separate them 1 mile at least !!!!
But there are methods to isolate plants and flowers so you can guarantee that the fruit is pure. You can find it all over the internet. Using tnt (tissue-non-tissue), for instance, to isolate a branch or just a few flowers... glue to isolate just one flower, etc. Doing this you can guarantee de pureness of the seeds, if at first, of course, you are sure of the pureness of the seed you grew ! If the parents are hybrids already, there's nothing you can do to have a real pure seed.
For general purposes, and your own consume, though, there's no need to go to such lengths ! I think ! ;)
Ciao
Margarida

Tulle (ballerina netting!) works best for me! Im using meters upon meters of the stuff! when you spot a nice juicy unopened flower, cover it in tulle, then when you see the baby pod, remove the tulle and tag the pod/pods, saves making 100 cages!

Back