• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

This FU#$ING SUCKS!!!

Well, I went to check on my plants really quick when I got home and my white hab plant that was loaded with pods, but only had about a week or so left until ripe snapped at the base! Now I have a bowl full of unripe white habs. My Hanoi red was laying at an angle in my pot, but not snapped. One Purira branch was shot to hell, and my Naga plant did shift a little, but looks fine. All I have to say is whatever wind came through last nights SUCKS!! Now the positive note. There are still some leaves on the bottom of the white hab and it was to big to fit in my storage closet to grow in the winter. Now I get to start all over again, have the room, and don't have to germinate again with that:lol:

Welcome to my world Rabbit!!! Man sorry to hear that really does suck.Actually,today I went out and the 1 limb of my Fatalli
that was damaged a few weeks ago had finally snapped off. I wasnt to mad as I got alot of ripe pods off of it but man I
feel for you.Sucks big time.

Peppers will ripen under light for up to a week, it's too late to hang the branch upside down because you picked them off already, but make sure they get light :)

Sorry to hear about the near disaster, sounds like you should be able to save some of them at least.

About the ripening tricks two of you say plenty of light and one says place them in a paper bag which would mean no light. I've had fruit ripen in a paper bag before, never tried a pepper. Which method works the best? Light or paper bag. Thank you.

Bananas release Ethylene, which causes ripining in fruit, leaves to drop and flowers to open.

I'd say, get a clear ziplock bag, put a Banana in there and put it under light :)

Ethylene causes enzymes to convert Chlorophyll to the pigments associated with a ripe fruit, and the flavors/aromas you get with ripe fruit.

I understand that this process requires energy, so light should speed it up.

I have had habaneros that were not ripe all the way and ones that were not even half way developed and still green ripen under lights, if left in the dark they would not do this.

Got To Love what a Banana Can do amazing things..Bit Like The P.C Of the Plant World..So many Applications and All Of Them Bring A Smile..

food-banana-20.gif

Thanks you guys on the tip!! I didn't know I could do that. I'll do the banana thing, put it in a clear bag and put it out in the light. That's good news. I ate one and it had some heat, but definitely lacked the hab flavor. Could have had a little more heat too. I'll do that for sure. Hey, the good news is that I can keep that plant going too in the winter under my growlights.

HotPeppersFlyFishing said:
Welcome to my world Rabbit!!! Man sorry to hear that really does suck.Actually,today I went out and the 1 limb of my Fatalli
that was damaged a few weeks ago had finally snapped off. I wasnt to mad as I got alot of ripe pods off of it but man I
feel for you.Sucks big time.

Ahh it's that Michigan weather we both have to deal with:shocked::lol:

I had pods ripening in my fridge within days, so light does not seem to be absolutely necessary for the process.

Update:

Well, there's some good news you guys. I left the bowl on the counter while I left for my mother in laws for a few days. I came back and didn't even get to do the banana thing yet. I already had a couple beautiful looking white ones in the bowl. I wasted no time and put them on my garlic bread. They taste WAAAAY better ripe and the heats a little better it seems too. Good stuff. I found a nearly 100% ripe cayenne when I got back as well. Now for those Nagas!!!! That plant is a mutant or something. It's turning into a bush now I think:lol:

Back