• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

400g of Aji Painapple. What to make with it?

As the title suggests i'm sitting on 400g of my aji painapple cross (aji pineapple x butch t yellow scorpion)

I've made powders with baccatum in the past and have never been overly thrilled with it. 

Has anyone ever made Puree with Baccatums and if so how did it turn out?

HqTEmFo.jpg

5fUdYvJ.jpg

263g fresh and 138g frozen

XvoiCMk.jpg

It was a lot of work to deseed but at least I got plenty for next year. Yea, that's all the seeds I got from all those pods. 

UGHIY8Y.jpg

I've never made a jelly, maybe these would be good in there?

I have some aji amarillo puree at home. I have not tried it yet, so I cannot opine. Pretty sure Buddy sent it to me, maybe check with him.

Do you think they would be good pickled grant? or maybe a ferment? Kind of scared to ferment as I don't want to ruin the pods. Took a lot of work to deseed all those. 

I wish we had the tag option. Cmon forum software upgrade  :rofl:

I really want to try a puree but i'm worried it may concentrate that grassy baccatum flavor. 

I haven't enjoyed any quick pickles peppers I've made in the past (just putting in clausen after eating the pickles) ...

I haven't tried tctenten's pickled charapita because he said to give them a month longer ...

I think the flavor of that would make an excellent and versatile jelly ... especially for some Asian ... hmmm, duck breast ...

Peter S said:
I vote jelly. That's the right amount for a batch that would fill 12 4oz jars. You probably wouldn't even need to add fruit, but if you did, pineapple or peaches would work well with it.

so just pepper jelly no fruit? I assume i'd just use the powdered pectin then? never made jelly but googling it looks pretty easy.

maybe i'll use half for jelly and half for puree and try both. 

D3monic said:

so just pepper jelly no fruit? I assume i'd just use the powdered pectin then? never made jelly but googling it looks pretty easy.

maybe i'll use half for jelly and half for puree and try both. 
I think those taste good enough they could go with or without fruit. This is a recipe I made the other day that had fruit, and turned out really good.

- 12 oz mixed yellow peppers, like Bonda ma Jacques, Aji Pineapple, I Scream Scorpion, Carbonero, Aji Charapita, maybe a few others.
- 4 cups cane sugar
- 4 Tbs honey
- t tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- can of sliced peaches in juice (contained peach and pear juice)
- box of powdered low sugar pectin (regular powder pectin probably be fine.)

I blended the peppers, peaches and lemon juice. Added to pan, added in honey and pectin. Brought to a roiling boil, then added cane sugar and cinnamon and brought back to roiling boil for 1 minute, then canned and hot water bathed. I called it Angel's Bliss. (Buffy the Vampire reference) I think it was so good it would make Angel lose his soul. 

OQdKGQ2l.jpg

a9U8vnHl.jpg

Kg38HFml.jpg

yBRr1TFl.jpg

That is one of my very favorite varieties of pepper!  I am currently saving some to make a sauce similar to the one Peter S posted, except I will use mango instead of peaches.  Maybe some roasted garlic and fresh ginger would be additional ingredients that could be complementary. 

D3monic said:
Is lemon juice required in a jelly or is that just for flavor / acid?
I could be wrong or have miss-associated but I think an acid helps the jelly setup. The ones I've made without take forever to set if at all. I was using vinegar but got burnt out on the flavor and switched to lemon or lemon/lime juice. I like it a lot better, especially mixed with fruit.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to make Pineapple and Painapple Jello with some of them but maybe that's just me being weird again.

Melon really isn't my thing at all but, on an objective basis, I could really see the cantaloupe type melon flavours melding well. Cool suggestion Smoken.

Back