• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Pickled Pepper Relish

I just threw together some pickled pepper relish. I haven't tried it yet, but I based it on some of my pickle recipes that have done me good. I found some so called mini sweet peppers at the grocery store today, so decided to use those.
Anyway...here's the recipe. And I didn't think to take process pictures, but one of the finished product.

Hot Pepper Relish

1 C Apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 C Water
1/2 C Sugar
2 T Salt
3 T Mustard seeds
1 Lemon, juiced
1 Lime, juiced
1/2 of an Onion
4 Garlic cloves
8 7-Pot peppers
1 # Sweet Peppers

All the vegetables were roughly diced, then put into the food processor for a few pulses.
Everything else, except for the citrus juice, was simmered for about 5 minutes, with the citrus being added at the very end. Then poured over the chopped peppers and onions.

You can obviously simplify this if you want....take away the mustard seeds and citrus, then add a bit more vinegar. Or complicate it more, if that's your thing. I actually added a pinch of saffron and turmeric to this one.

Anyway...I'm sure it's delicious. And I'll post after I start eating it, but I think it'll be better if I let it sit for at least a week or two.

KNHZwGy.jpg

Oh yeah, and these sweet peppers were almost all yellow/orange, so you really know when you're getting the 7-Pot!

I just tried it last night. Flavor is pretty good. Decent amount of heat, good slow burn, but you can still pile a good bit on.

I forgot to say when I posted this, that I had about half the brine leftover. So, this is the tweaked recipe which I'll try next time. Mainly just bringing the vinegar and water down, as it tastes like it needs a higher ratio of sugar and salt.

1/2 C Apple cider vinegar
3/4 C Water
1/2 C Sugar
2 T Salt
1 Lemon, juiced
2 Limes, juiced
1/2 of an Onion
6 Garlic cloves
8 7-Pot peppers
1 # Sweet Peppers

Back