• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor New Indoor Grow Booth

Hey all,

This is my first season growing, so I've been doing heaps of reading, and am thinking to experiment with growing some things in a variety of manner. I've got some seedlings that are spending time outside pretty regularly, and just starting to get their first true leaves after about 10 days of having sprouted. However I'd also, after alot of investigation in this area, like to convert an old dvd/cd cabinet into a grow box to trial indoor growing before moving them outside.

This is the future growbox: 

9kslo93.jpg

The section on the left, is roughly 15" wide, 15" deep, and 33" tall. The section on the bottom right is around 22" wide, 15" deep and 19" tall. The unit doesnt have a back.

I'd had two thoughts. Which ever area I used, was going to be just foil insulated for light bouncing. For heat removal, I'd just planned to drill a half dozen holes in the top of the area I convert. Hot air rises so I figure whilst its not a fan driven outtake given the lack of back and the small size that should be sufficient. For incoming ventilation I'd planned to drill holes in the middle wall better the two sections, and position a small fan on the other side of the grow area (which ever wasn't being used). I figured that the holes would allow me to blow some steady cool air through, but not enough air would come through and ruin the seedlings (I'd potentially raise them on a brick to have the cool air come in underneath them and lower them down as they get bigger). At the same time this would create a positive pressure (more in than out) and hopefully force the hot air out the top or the back. I'd probably close half the back in with foil/cardboard and just let the air vent out the top. I base this off computer cases where they are both pretty standard. Granted this thing doesnt have a back but I'll probably seal most of it for the light with foil.

I'd been looking at this light http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/161818022140?lpid=107&chn=ps but thought, given the small dimensions of the space I'm growing in maybe this wasn't the best choice as it was too large. Should i be potentially looking at maybe just a standard desk lamp, with a CFL globe in it of around 20watts?

Ultimately I'm just planning to super charge the first couple of weeks or month to get a good push on my seasons. I also dont want to over invest, when I do primarily plan to grow outside and this is my first season.

Love to hear your feedback - and if anything is misplaced appreciate being pointed int he right direction.

Once I've finalized I'll take photos of the conversion.

Cheers,

Sev

ps: ignore my tracksuited reflection, high on chilli and drunk on cider.

I feel like the cabinet will not hold up well against moisture. I also don't think that it is deep enough to hold a nice light. 

For heat removal, I prefer to put the fan at the top. My reasoning is that I am not trying so much to get cool air in as I am trying to get hot air out. The cool air will flow in just fine without the fan.

20 watts is nowhere near enough lighting for this project. The LED in the link looks nice but it seems really cheap for a LED. It makes me think it may be one of the cheaper and less reliable Chinese lights. 

Reactions: Sev
Looks good mate, should be adequate for a few plants for sure.

A few things I'd suggest:

-Lining the inside with Mylar (emergency blanket), foil, or even painting it with a bright white paint will be enough to reflect light, and protect from excess moisture.

-You need a fan to circulate fresh air from outside, to the inside of the box. This will create plant movement which will thicken the stems, reduce mold and bacterial infections, and keep heat created by your lights within an adequate range. Putting a fan inside the box to circulate stale air will have some benefits, but won't help with mold and bacterial issuses.

-Get the best lights you can afford. They will be the most important factor in your build, which will result in the most significant improvements. I noticed that the light you linked has a fan on top, if enclosed at the top of your box, it may only get hot air and overheat, something to consider. Moruga Welder used Mars Hydros this season with great results, hopefully he can chime in here with his thoughts. 

You could even use something like this.

I use three of these personally and am very happy with them.

-If the lights you end up using create heat, I'd suggest using it to your advantage to heat the inside of the box, then add one of these to control a fan. That way you can set the temperature inside the grow box to mimic much warmer weather conditions, and start you season as early as you wish.

Is this the same Led but cheaper?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141926328116

I look forward to seeing how this build progresses, please keep the updates and questions coming.

SR.

Reactions: Sev
Thanks for the feedback guys. 

I'll do a bit more research. I emptied everything out of the left hand side today and am going to look at insulating it this weekend. Hopefully some time next week I'll have figured out lights etc.

Cheers!

Back