• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Douglah X Bhut/Naga

I've seen several peppers labeled as either naga or bhut crossed with a douglah. I think the BBM is a naga X douglah and the bhutlah is a bhut X douglah. I think I've also seen nagalah which I assume is a naga X douglah.

Given that bhuts and nagas are so similar (or correct me if they are not, I'm still new), how different are these peppers?

It would make sense that if I crossed a douglah with a bhut, and someone else also did the same cross completely separately, and we selected different traits when stabilizing the cross that they could end up pretty different.

So I'm just trying to understand all the douglah X (insert bhut/naga/bih jolokia here) varieties.

AJ Drew said:
Wasnt Douglah also the pepper CPI tested and called 7 Pot Brown?
Most things I've seen have called it a 7 pot douglah. I've seen some resources say that it is the same thing as 7 pot brown. I also saw one source that said douglah was distinct because it's more of a reddish brown rather than the deeper brown that some people call 7 pot brown.

I guess there really isn't a good answer to this question. There could be several strains of selected bhut/naga jolokia that have been separately crossed with several selected strains of 7 pot douglah/brown. And each of those crosses could also have been selected for slightly different traits when they were being grown out.

I think the ultimate answer/lesson is that you want something specific you should get it from the source whenever possible.

*slowly slowly he backs away from this thread*  Awww hell no I'm jumping straight into this Douglah-coloured swampy mire!

I only know of two real Douglah strains - I say real cos yellow or red ones aren't a Douglah - I would prefer we don't even go there.  Have a look on THP - Omri summed it up well enough.

Righto back to the strains - std and Alphanerdz - that's it there are two - all the variations around 7 Pot or Trinidad are just superfluous - peeps trying to jump on the Trinidad or 7 Pot brand.  It is called a Douglah - just like a 7 Pot is called just that in Trinidad (where they both originate).

Apparently the Alphanerdz strain is bigger and so are the pods.  I have not had success with it yet.

So there you go. 

I would personally cross the Alphanerdz strain with a good big bumpy Naga Morich.  I think there is some serious potential there.

Amen that RobStar.
All the dandy names and supposed 'natural' color variations of many varieties are beyond ridicolous.
I consider only original Billyboy and Alphanerdz as authentic Douglah representations nowadays (if you find the real deals...).

Datil

RobStar said:
*slowly slowly he backs away from this thread*  Awww hell no I'm jumping straight into this Douglah-coloured swampy mire!

I only know of two real Douglah strains - I say real cos yellow or red ones aren't a Douglah - I would prefer we don't even go there.  Have a look on THP - Omri summed it up well enough.

Righto back to the strains - std and Alphanerdz - that's it there are two - all the variations around 7 Pot or Trinidad are just superfluous - peeps trying to jump on the Trinidad or 7 Pot brand.  It is called a Douglah - just like a 7 Pot is called just that in Trinidad (where they both originate).

Apparently the Alphanerdz strain is bigger and so are the pods.  I have not had success with it yet.

So there you go. 

I would personally cross the Alphanerdz strain with a good big bumpy Naga Morich.  I think there is some serious potential there.
I miss Omri, wherever he is! Hope he's ok!

Back