•  

The 10th Annual Hot Pepper Awards Winners Announced!

Photo

Low ph hab/mango/pineapple/any fruit sauce recipe request

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hothotsauce

Hothotsauce

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

Does anyone have a good basic hab sauce with a fruit in it? I am looking for a low <4.0 ph so I can hot fill. Only looking to make a few woozies worth. Thanks!

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Masher

Masher

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

If i am correct, you mix your recipe as you wish....then adjust (lower) the ph prior to bottling with an acid.

Vinegars, lime juice. Without a ph meter or similar test strip I wouldn't be able to tell.

The cooked sauce I made yesterday after the addition of vinegar came in at 4.7. I added 1 TBLS of lime juice and it went down to 3.6, safe to bottle.

I am learning myself...really can't say enough how handy the ph meter has become.

#3 Hothotsauce

Hothotsauce

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

Thanks. I dont have a ph meter so was hoping if some had a tried and true recipe they knew - as is - was low, then that could work. Which ph meter do you have?

#4 Masher

Masher

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

mine is a Milwauke brand  and yellow in color.

If you don't need long term storage and just keep it in the fridge 2 -3 weeks, make your sauce and enjoy it as is.

The need for low ph is for long term storage..there are a couple new posts on the front page of sauce making that did just that...made a quick sauce to be stored in the fridge and used soon.  

#5 AldenMiller

AldenMiller

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

Thanks. I dont have a ph meter so was hoping if some had a tried and true recipe they knew - as is - was low, then that could work. Which ph meter do you have?

Take a look for "ph meter" on ebay and you will find plenty of affordable meters.

-Alden

#6 crunch

crunch

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Basic PH meters are pretty cheap and will get you into the ball park, like 10-15 bucks will put you into the game. Ya you can spend hundreds on a meter if you wish, but its not necessary. The trick to any meter is calibration and maintenance. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests

Facebook (1)