I made my first hot sauce last week and it came out alright, I give myself a C+.
.6 lbs of chiles (mostly serrano, a few jalapenos and a few fresnos
3 cloves garlic
2 cups herbal vinegar (apple cider vinegar sitting with lime slices, cilantro, rosemary, etc for 2 weeks)
Salt (eye balled)
- Learned the process
- Flavor came out good, not great
- I have hot sauce
- Propane ran out and peppers did not roast enough
- I did not run the food processor long enough and the consistency was much more thin than I wanted
- My house smelled pretty horrible
My friend came over yesterday (a lot more experience) and showed me the proper way to make sauce. This came out MUCH better.
- Handful of dried chipotle peppers (hydrated)
- Roasted fresnos, onion, tomatoes
- Chiltepins (added through tasting)
I am now all in on hot sauce making and will continue to try new recipes all year long.
Next up I'm thinking honey, blueberry habanero