• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense MOA Scotch Bonnet vs Aleppo

I'm thinking about buying some seeds to grow some bonnets or maybe Allepos, I want to know your thoughts on them.  I've heard the MOA tastes amazing and I've also heard the Allepos are darn good.  Tell me your experience with either of them, or both.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I like a good steak. But I also like oranges.

If given the choice of only one I'll take a steak you can have the orange ;) but I agree the OP should just grow both....

I grew a bunch of Aleppo's this year. I just love them. I plan on growing them next year.I use them for about everything. If you want or need some seeds pm me.

I like to make my Aleppo into powder, I also grill and stuff them.  As far as MOA Scotch I am pretty much a chinense guy so I will always vote that way, I'll eat Annuum peppers and such but nothing satiates my palette like a chinense pepper. 

austin87 said:
MOA scotch bonnet is a chinense, Aleppo is an annum... So as Hybrid Mode said, steaks and oranges.

I absolutely LOVE the MOA, but every pod i've had seems like it might have a fair bit of annuum genetics in there somewhere.  Sure, the chinense character dominates, but i suspect that there's some annuum crossed in there at some point in it's lineage.  This may be true of other Bonnets, but the grassy vibes are more obvious in the MOA than they are in other Bonnets I've tried (TFM, Dreadie, Foodarama, generic ones from local markets, etc...)

I haven't had Aleppo peppers, but from what i gather, they're quite a bit different from Bonnets, and are often used differently, too.  So, i agree with everyone else:  grow both.  And, i might add, grow some other shit, too.  Variety is the spice of life, et cetera.

Back