• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Gourd fanatics ???

Are there gourd fanatics the way there are pepper fanatics?  Have been growing commons: bird house, snake, dipper, bushel and the likes for a bit.  Have just been buying seed at local feed store.  Googled gourd seed this year and oh my there are a lot of truly amazing shapes and colors.  I had no clue.

I could see myself becoming as much a fanatic about gourds as I am about peppers.  They are both so damn beautiful.

Never grew gourds but the Grandparents did. I don't think I ever saw one at the table other than decoration.

What do you do with them? They sure can be stunning in appearance though.

Masher said:
Never grew gourds but the Grandparents did. I don't think I ever saw one at the table other than decoration.

What do you do with them? They sure can be stunning in appearance though.

If I am right, people dry them and collect them the way you would stamps.  I combine them with metal work.  I do hanging baskets, chalices, bowels, spoons and other things.  I sell them at our local renaissance festival.  Thing is, I have always painted them and then food safe coating on the inside.  Have never thought about preserving the natural colors till I googled them an oh wow some are beautiful.

I am juried in to the Ren. Fair as a farm and forge, but it is so early in the year that there is very little from the farm to sell.  Gourds are from the previous year, so they are good to go.

I only grew a few  to make bird houses for the back of the property..its nice for gift ideas as you can decorate them & they last forever.maybe next year I will get some others to grow..
I have this one.
gourd-1484121__180.jpg
Who knows, I can become a "WILD"gourd fanatic :cool:

I have grown them extensively in the past for the same reason as pepper - the shapes and colors are fantastic. These days I'm 100% peppers though.

Back