• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Overipe Mango making sauce snotty?

Made a quick Agent Orange mango sauce today with some left over mangoes from the holidays. One was ripe, one a little overipe. Same recipe, same process. When I pulled immersion blender out had some snotty mango globs on head. Pulled out my cap and strained but iv'e never got this before. Overipe mango?

Overripe mango tends to be more stringy than ripe. Green cuts like a dense apple. Ripe cuts like butter. Overripe is stringy. Those stands spun around the blade shaft, I presume.

I don't know the science behind the riper being stringier. The fiber breaks down as a whole I guess, and the strands are more apparent instead of being part of the flesh, so you have mush and strands.

Interesting. Here's a pic of the strands on an overripe/rotted mango, flesh removed.

mango_strands.jpg

Maybe cut in small cubes next time to cut through any stands, and the globs won't have anything to use to attach to blade.

Ok, I must apologize, in 2019 I suffered a sustained cardiac arrest and have chunks of memory I no longer have. On searching net, I came across this, never remembering I made this sauce before. The replies answered the original question and will be trying sauce with cubed frozen fruit and give it a forth (?) try. Sorry for the oversite, life's cruel, still here. Sorry again and Thanx.

Back