• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Peter S

Peter S

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:20 PM

Pod test of a Chinese Red Pepper from my AeroGarden. I was battling a head cold when I made this, and that might have affected my tastes. Couldn't put it off much longer, as the pod felt like it was starting to get soft.

The seed for this came from a Street Kitchen brand Kung Pao Chicken meal kit. It was in a spice pack with two dried red peppers. I have another one of these growing in a 2-gallon self-watering container.

The flavor was a little muted, but I think my tastes were off. The heat was closer to hotter types of thai pepper.

Attached Thumbnails

• kung pao chicken box.jpg
  • kung pao spice pack.jpg
  • kung pao seedlings.jpg
  • kung pao plants.jpg
  • kung pao led bigger.jpg
  • kung pao hitting lights.jpg

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Oh, i remember that experiment you did, growing from pepper seeds in the Street Kitchen department store recipe kit.... awesome that you got pods from it and had a chance to test them!

#3 Slug

Slug

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Hey Peter, I was thinking of growing some of my plants in 2-gal self watering systems this year pretty much exactly like in your picture. How big do the plants tend to get for you in those? Do they still produce decently?

#4 Peter S

Peter S

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

Hey Peter, I was thinking of growing some of my plants in 2-gal self watering systems this year pretty much exactly like in your picture. How big do the plants tend to get for you in those? Do they still produce decently?

It's too early to report for the 2 gal setups. I started the Thai Dragon relatively late in the season last year, and the Tien Tsin much later than that. So far they seem to be performing well though under the indoor lighting. I'll move them outside when it warms up and let them go throughout the year. I grew two plants in 4 and 5 gallon setups last year with this method and they did great. One was a Paper Lantern x Butch T Yellow and the other was a Moruga Scorpion. Here's a pic from October 2nd, the left and middle plants. They are growing over the side of the porch rail.

0ehvVj2h.jpg

#5 Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • aka:Hot Sauce Guy

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

I love that pepper.

#6 dragonsfire

dragonsfire