Hot Pepper Grower in the UK

Hey all,

Stumbled across your site researching how to effectively grow some good chillies this year. It's a challenge here in the UK as we are a little cooler than is really acceptable however, I do know it is possible and very capable of getting some high yields.

I have tried to grow a few different varieties over the last few years with varying success. Last year my Purple Cayenne were the only ones to bear fruit (very nicely I might add), the year before it was my Trinidad Scorpions, the year before that my Chocolate Naga's and Apaches. Unfortunately, I have never really researched the "correct" way until this year.

I have already sourced my seeds which are now on their way to me. I have chosen for this year....

1. Carolina Reapers
2. Satan's Kiss
3. Habenero Whites
4. Naga Morich
5. Long Red Cayenne

Plan is to start the seeds mid January using a heated Propogator and bring these on ready to sow outside mid to late April as large, healthy plants.

I've already learnt a lot from my brief stay, like learning about pruning and topping (something I have never done before) and hope to learn a lot more in the hope I get a good crop this year. Obviously, any advice would be really welcome as I want to get it right :)

So here I am, hopefully I'm in the right place ;)

Jay

Welcome to the Forum !!!
The Purple Cayenne sound great, any pics? Growing the long cayenne for the first time this year myself :)

Only got a couple left on the plant now (end of it's life) but these are the last couple

k7Opaiul.jpg

j3ta9DTl.jpg

Really sweet flavour with plenty of punch. Really recommend them :)

(Edit - trying to get to grips with your image handling ;) )

Nice :P

Can't wait to get stuck in this year again, everything is on order to arrive this week. I'll try and keep a growing "blog" of sorts going.

Having a browse about, there are some really good bits and pieces on here. Saw a recipe for a Pomegranate and Blueberry Jam (sorry, I can't call it Jelly ;) ) I'm going to have to try out :party:

MR2Jay77 said:
Thanks Guys :)

Mitzi, glad to see I'm not alone here :)

There are quite a few more, mostly far more experienced than I. 

Do your plants spend the summer in a greenhouse, or outdoors?  I'm going to try some outside in pots this year for the first time as well as on my windowsills.  I've got my fingers crossed for a good summer.

Your purple cayenne looks incredibly healthy for this time of year.  What is the secret of your success?  I just grew ordinary red cayenne in 2016 but I don't think they ever looked as healthy as that.

Mitzi said:

There are quite a few more, mostly far more experienced than I. 

Do your plants spend the summer in a greenhouse, or outdoors?  I'm going to try some outside in pots this year for the first time as well as on my windowsills.  I've got my fingers crossed for a good summer.

Your purple cayenne looks incredibly healthy for this time of year.  What is the secret of your success?  I just grew ordinary red cayenne in 2016 but I don't think they ever looked as healthy as that.

That's good to know, once my 2017 plants get started, I want plenty of advice to get the best out of them :)

No real secret to the Purple, grew that one indoors in the kitchen window, kept it watered and it did brilliantly. This year I'll be planting both indoors and out as a bit of an experiment, see which gives me the best results.

As I say, I'm a real novice that appears to have done most things wrong reading up on it, hence why I'm here to do it right :)

Hi and welcome!

There's a few of us Brits here. You aren't alone.

1st question. Are you aware that chillies are perennials? If you give them the right conditions over winter they will probably produce more and earlier in their second year. Hang onto that Purple Cayenne and anything else that hasn't been hit by frost. And yes, get that growlog going.  :P

ChilliJez said:
Hi and welcome!

There's a few of us Brits here. You aren't alone.

1st question. Are you aware that chillies are perennials? If you give them the right conditions over winter they will probably produce more and earlier in their second year. Hang onto that Purple Cayenne and anything else that hasn't been hit by frost. And yes, get that growlog going.  :P

Thanks All :)

Hmmm....how can I save that Purple Cayenne? What should I do with it? The plant itself is still pretty healthy (I grew it indoors so no exposure to front there) and I'd love to get a second year out of it

Back