• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Recharge

Thanks Juanitos.

I've used Azos and Mycos in the past, I was under the impression that recharge had more going for it than both of these products. I have just a little bit left of Azos and Mycos left, and will try the recharge and see if it has any benefits I didn't see with either of them.

I don't have the original packing from them to compare them to the Recharge, I'll have to look online to see.

I stopped using mycos in my containers.  The last few times I've used it, the fungi overcolonized, and it resulted in a hard, foam like substance, that prevented water from being taken up by the plants.  (it seemed particularly bad when used in combination with rock dusts)  I had to literally beat apart the potting mix.  Not sure what made them go so crazy, but it didn't do my plants any favors.

This season was the first season where I started to genuinely reconsider the efficacy of mychorrizal inoculation for short term growing - and especially in small spaces.  It might still be great for a raised bed.  But I think I'd want something with a great wicking capability to keep it all moist.  Once that stuff dried out on me, there was no re-wetting it.

solid7 said:
I stopped using mycos in my containers.  The last few times I've used it, the fungi overcolonized, and it resulted in a hard, foam like substance, that prevented water from being taken up by the plants.  (it seemed particularly bad when used in combination with rock dusts)  I had to literally beat apart the potting mix.  Not sure what made them go so crazy, but it didn't do my plants any favors.

This season was the first season where I started to genuinely reconsider the efficacy of mychorrizal inoculation for short term growing - and especially in small spaces.  It might still be great for a raised bed.  But I think I'd want something with a great wicking capability to keep it all moist.  Once that stuff dried out on me, there was no re-wetting it.

How much percentage wise to your soil mix were you using?

solid7 said:

Never have had those issues...I am using granular. I wonder what could have happened to get those results?

I take 1 TBS and after placing 2" of soil into a 3 gallon pot, I spread the Mycos on top. Then remove my solo cup plant and place the roots in direct contact with the Mycos.  fill remaining space and water.

Same method followed when I up pot into 5's or 7's (3-4 month growing season)....I bust up every container after harvest to check for irregularities, root mass, and overall heath of the root mass.

always healthy robust even mass and distribution, no hard spots, no voids.

Psychographic said:

How much percentage wise to your soil mix were you using?

I really couldn't say, because the mycos are supplied with the fertilizer. (Dr. Earth) If you can find the concentration of the tomato, herb, and veg formula, you'll have your answer.

My guess is that between the organic fertilizer, and possibly something breaking down in the inorganics (rock dust), the total volume of dissolved solids (EC) was out of whack. It took about 7 months, but the fungi almost completely colonized the substrate.  I think that if I were to let the container rest for a few months, some sort of equilibrium would be reached.  In the meantime, it's severely diminishing the health of my plants.

Since my pots are outside, I've resigned myself to the idea that mycos addition is completely unnecessary.  It's not like I can actually keep them out.  LOL

Masher said:

Never have had those issues...I am using granular. I wonder what could have happened to get those results?

I take 1 TBS and after placing 2" of soil into a 3 gallon pot, I spread the Mycos on top. Then remove my solo cup plant and place the roots in direct contact with the Mycos.  fill remaining space and water.

Same method followed when I up pot into 5's or 7's (3-4 month growing season)....I bust up every container after harvest to check for irregularities, root mass, and overall heath of the root mass.

always healthy robust even mass and distribution, no hard spots, no voids.

The time frame is suspect, for me.  

I attempt to break up the root balls in the container, but sometimes, it isn't possible.  Here is what it looks like after I disassemble the root ball for recycling:

32288077056_2b175935ae_z.jpg

That's weird looking for sure Solid..not seen anything like that myself...I will keep an eye out.

Could it be from to much applied vs the plant size during transplant or inability for roots to break down and consume, possibly not allowing it to break down and proper uptake into the root system?

Masher said:
That's weird looking for sure Solid..not seen anything like that myself...I will keep an eye out.

Could it be from to much applied vs the plant size during transplant or inability for roots to break down and consume, possibly not allowing it to break down and proper uptake into the root system?

Well, the concept of organics is "feed the soil, not the plant".  I live in a year round growing season, with lots of heat and humidity.  That means that the root zone is always moist, and it's also warm in there.  I'm guessing that my conditions are so favorable for fungal development, that the fungus may just be temporarily outcompeting everything else. Like I said, it always shows up late in the grow, and it is always present in the containers with rock dust added.  And it's definitely a myco-web.  It's just a really massive one.  Maybe something went wrong with the plant, and it couldn't take up nutrients, so the fungus got everything.  I just don't know.

When I put the recycled mutant myco potting mix on the ground around what few in-ground plants I have, they flourish.  I have a cherry tomato plant that loves that old potting mix, spread about 2" thick in a 18" area around the base.

Back