• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Super Bowl Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
20170204_155514_zps5qstuda5.jpg

20170204_155536_zpst9li9ldz.jpg

My crab looks drunk.

I think he has been sippin the wine.

"Cioppino" This is one of California's most famous dishes, and one that we can claim is ours, all ours. It is a versatile dish, as it was invented by fishermen who made it with whatever the ocean was inclined to yield, so of course there are dozens of ideas on how it should be done. Exponents of the various schools of cookery get quite fussed--and fussy--about how to make cioppino. Red or white wine, or sherry? Shrimp and crab, clams, or just a mixture of fish? The best way is as you like it.

Its Origin

Though the word Ciopinno and the dish that is popular in the US definitely was popularized near in the San Franciso area of California, The roots of the dish and name are from Italy. Records of when this dish appeared vary from the Gold Rush days to 1930 says food historians.

The Italian flair of this tomato based seafood stew using the daily catch comes from the fisherman from Genoa that immigranted to the US and settled in the Bay area of California. A fisherman's stew most likely originated ON the boat because in pre 20th century fishing boats they didn't have refrigeration , so they were limited to some canned foods( like tomatoes),vegetables, bread, wine and the catch of the day to make their dinner.

Origin of the Word Cioppino

The name comes either from ciuppin, a word in the Ligurian dialect of the port city of Genoa,meaning "to chop" or "chopped" which described the process of making the stew by chopping up various leftovers of the days catch, but also some say it can be a corruption
of the word" il ciuppin" which means ..little soup.

San Francisco is loaded with restuarants that specialize in CIOPPINO. Here is the recipe I chose to follow:

My crab looks drunk CIOPPINO

1lb black mussels

1lb clams

1lb head on 25-30 shrimp

20170204_155514-2-3_zps8t1klwdt.jpg

1/4 lb calemari

1 Dungeonous crab

3 leaks (white parts only)

2 bunches green onions

1 head of garlic

3 yellow bell peppers

Olive oil

Cracked black pepper to taste

2 cups chicken stock

1 T superhot pepper flakes

2 T mexican oregano

1 bottle cabernet Sauvignon wine

20170204_155514-2-1_zpsjy4mc2d6.jpg

2 cans diced tomatoes

Fresh parsley bunch

Cut up onions, garlic, leaks (wash well), and bells and
cook untill soft in the olive oil (about 1/4 cup). Add chicken stock, tomatoes, spices. Add a full bottle of wine.

Simmer about 1/2 hour.

20170204_155514-2-2_zpsbhnjs1vc.jpg

Take mussles and clams and 3 cups water and boil untill shells open. Remove the liquid and put with sauce mixture. Simmer another 10 minutes.

Save cooked mussles and clams aside.

Break up crab into smaller pieces. Oil a big pot and add shrimp, calemari, crab, mussles, and clams, stir at a medium heat.

20170204_174414-1_zps8yugj0y1.jpg

Spoon in sauce to cover and boil untill shrimp are red and ready. About 15 minutes.

20170204_174414_zpsqghvgdur.jpg

Plate up with bowl bursting with seafood and nestled in a pool of spicey broth.

20170204_175510_zps8dooatpe.jpg

Pour a nice glass of wine, break some sour dough bread to sop up the broth and enjoy!

Ah there's a 4th mussel! (sorry if it's a financial thing... don't mean to poke fun that way... cooking for oneself is awesome as well... ;))

The Hot Pepper said:
Three mussels and one clam. :shocked:

well, the story is, add what you have to the pot.....so maybe some poor little urchin found a clam and threw it in the pot.....FREE DINNER!!!  :D 

However it goes, dang good looking seafood there. 

You should enter anyway... you have to eat right?

grill 'em, dunk 'em in butter, little bread on the side....ensalada if you have to......DONE!!!!

it better be called Sin Chili or I will be disappointed...

Prepping prepping prepping!

Strawberry sauce
IMG_5861.JPG

hazelnut tart shells
IMG_5863.JPG

Sauce/spread/dressing
IMG_5865.JPG

Crab picking-
IMG_5881.JPG

Getting ready to smoke the steelhead...Aw Poop!  Only chips we had were mesquite and hickory.  :(  BUT!  I know where there's a stash of apple wood.  I just have to get to it....
IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5873.JPG

Just add SawzAll=SCORE!
IMG_5874.JPG

IMG_5879.JPG

Steelhead and BACON-
IMG_5886.JPG

blackberry filling
IMG_5885.JPG

a'ght.. I'mDONE cooking for today!

Aight!

Scoville DeVille said:
I'm juss sitting here simmerin' away.

Drinking my Chili.

Wait. No...
:cheers: :cheers: :drunk:

The Hot Pepper said:
it better be called Cin Chili or I will be disappointed...

fify~ ;)

SL... I said SIN on purpose lol, that went way over your head, I already knew he was making CIN chili!

I Know that....but there is a CIN-Chili company....which really does taste pretty good....so if he used one of their mixes.....  :rolleyes:    did I miss the link?

It's OK Boss, middle of the winter, bloods moving a little slow with all these -F temps.  and yes, it is time for a re-wine!!!

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back