Hello everyone, I'll be trying to make my first sauce soon and am left with some lingering questions after searching through the forums and other internet sources. I'll lay out my current plan and please correct any steps that seem wrong/unsafe/improvable. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ingredients: 2 sliced mangos, 1/2 fresh cut pineapple, 12 habaneros, 1/2 cup white vinegar, squirt of lime
- combine ingredients in pan and leave boiling on low heat for ~10min
- blend in food processor
- test pH (assuming ~pH<4 using test strips move on)
- funnel into bottles which have been washed and then heated in oven at 250°F
- cap (plastic cap) and invert for a few minutes
- let cool to room temp
My questions for this process are:
- Does this seem like an overall reasonable approach?
- After cooling to room temp could this be stored at room temp. or does it necessitate refrigeration? (will be refrigerated after opening, just curious about before that)
- If I used the same process except don't cook the sauce and simply blended it in the food processor, assuming a ~pH<4 would this be safe to store at room temp.?
Thanks for all the help, would be lost without this forum!
Edited by horas, 14 February 2017 - 11:57 PM.