• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Boxelder Bugs

Hey All
We've had a nice heat wave in the last 2 weeks. Hottest winter week ever in Madison. It has unfortunately awoken a host of boxelder bugs that are now crawling over plants in my sunny south window and even under the lights in my basement.

are boxelders a pest to pepper plants. I thought I caught one with its proboscis in the main vein of one of my keylime plants.
i know they are piercing sap suckers. but the plants haven't displayed any ill effects yet. 

are they vectors for any disease or will they prey upon the tender new growth of the kids? I will put them down mercilessly if that is the case.

Thanks

It's possible, but they really aren't known for being destructive.  They are really just known for dying en masse in the corners of your house.  I wouldn't worry too much about them on your plants.

We have (a lot) of box elder bugs and because our house is old, with gaps around the door they get into the house. Never had problems with them bothering the house plants or on any pepper plants.

Back