• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting MikeUSMC's Ferments (pic heavy)

What's up, gang! Hope you don't mind, but I was kinda hoping to set up shop here, with the fermenting crew! Just officially joined THP today, but I've been lurking for quite some time, and you guys gave me enough confidence to start making/bottling my own stuff. Huge thanks in advance to all of you guys! You guys rock.

Anyway, here's a few concoctions I've been working on for the last year or so. All hobby stuff; mostly gifts for friends and family. A lot of these have been bottled up and given away already, but I thought I'd share what I've been working on so far. Here goes.....

My signature sauce ("Original Recipe"):
Douglahs, Chocolate Scotch Bonnets, pineapple, raisins, sweet onion, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, agave nectar, molasses, sea salt, Moscato wine (brine), powdered LB packets (starter)

Another few-
Red: Smoked red bells, smoked Red MoAs, smoked 7 Pot Lavas, sweet potato, roasted onion, roasted garlic, honey, sea salt, Moscato brine
Green: Blackened tomatillos, blackened Poblanos, jalapeños, and Scotch Bonnets (all green), sweet onion, roasted garlic, pineapple, cilantro, agave nectar, sea salt

Hobby labels for those ^:

My latest one (just processed about a week ago, not bottled yet):
Scotch Bonnets, golden raisins, baby carrots, red onion, fresh garlic, yellow bell pepper, yellow mustard, ginger, turbinado sugar, sea salt, ground turmeric, Pinot Grigio brine

Looked crazy, hahaha

I've got a few more ideas up my sleeve, and a freezer full of pods from last season! Thanks for looking, everybody!

Thanks, man! I'm absolutely horrible at computers, and if I can do it, believe me, anybody can do it.

Basically, I took my kid's laptop and made everything on a Microsoft Power Point slide. Once the label was where I liked it, I saved it, then opened up Microsoft Word. Avery labels has built in label templates right into the program. Here's a link on where to find them in Word, if you're interested:

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Help-Center/Quick-Help/Avery-Templates-Built_in-to-Microsoft-Word/How-to-Find-an-Avery-Template-Built_in-to-Microsoft-Word.htm

Basically, you just choose whichever size labels you want, download the Avery template in Word, then copy and paste your image over from Power Point. I've been using the Avery 5164 labels (3 1/3" x 4"), also known as "6 UP" labels (6 labels per page). They fit pretty good on a 5oz woozy bottle. Not ideal, but they work.

After I paste the image into the 6 boxes on the template, I save that (Word template with my 6 images on it) to one of those storage things you plug into the USB port, and take it to the office supply store (since I don't have a laser printer). They've been charging me about $0.60/sheet, plus the cost of the label paper (I just buy a box of it and bring it with me when I go back to have more printed).

Again, I'm sure there may be plenty of other ways to do it. Probably cheaper ways too. My labels definitely have some minor flaws here and there, and could probably use some improvements. But for a small time hobbyist like me who sucks at computers, it does the trick. It's very user friendly too.

I keep finding new "tricks" in Power Point, and I've already revamped the labels I already posted and created a few new ones ;)

Best of luck, man! Hope that helps

No brine? (wine or salt?)
when you "wine brine" are you just pouring moscato on top or is it a salt/wine mixture?
when its done fermenting, do you pour off with wine or incorporate it into your sauce?
MikeUSMC said:
I just got back from a week long vacation in SoCal. The morning we left, I drove down to National City (section of San Diego) and cleaned out the Vallarta Market of all of their fresh Manzanos, and mailed a 6lb box of them back to my house in CT :)

I'm really looking forward to this one:

-3lbs Manzanos
-1/2 cup agave nectar
-1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
-4g probiotic powder (starter)

That's it.
"K.I.S.S."

I don't plan on adding anything at all during the final processing/bottling. I'm really aiming for that fantastic straight Manzano flavor. The other 3lbs got halved, seeded, and frozen this morning until the next time I fire up the smoker.

I did leave about a half dozen out to snack on raw (my God, they're delicious!) or to make a few ground sausage and cheese stuffed poppers

Malarky said:
No brine? (wine or salt?)
when you "wine brine" are you just pouring moscato on top or is it a salt/wine mixture?
when its done fermenting, do you pour off with wine or incorporate it into your sauce?

Sorry for the late response, Malarky. Been pretty hectic around here lately :)

Anyway, the ferment that you quoted (straight Manzano) did not get a brine at all. The Manzano peppers were so juicy, that by the time I diced them up and filled the jar, the liquid was just at the top of the peppers anyway. The teaspoon of salt that I added to that batch pulled a little bit of extra moisture out too, so the (natural) brine level came just up over the top of the mash. First time I've ever had that happen. Usually, I'll add some kind of binder or thickener (carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.) too, and I think that soaks some of the moisture up, forcing you to use a brine.

Most ferments I do, do require a brine and I usually use a sweet white wine like Moscato or Piñot Grigio. I'll fill the jar (roughly) to the neck with the mash, then just dump the wine into the jar over the mash, until it's covered (gently ratcheting the jar back and forth, ensuring the wine fills any voids in the jar). Then, most times, I'll stuff my cabbage leaves in and seal it up.

Hope that helps, bud!

Edit: I should also note that because I usually go very light on the salt content of my ferments (about 1 tsp/half gallon), I also use 3-4g of powdered probiotics, while most people (I think) only use 1 or 2. The salt isn't just for flavor, it's also a preservative that keeps the "bad" bacteria at bay. I use extra LB to get them multiplying ASAP so they quickly outnumber any "nasties" that the salt might've taken care of

Malarky said:
Forgot to answer this too, bud. Sorry ;)

When it's done fermenting, I pour everything (minus the cabbage) into the blender, brine and all. The brine (wine) also makes it easier for stuff to move around freely in the blender. Whizz it all up, then it goes into the stock pot to get cooked down to the consistency I like. I also leave it just a tad runnier than I'd like while it's still boiling, because it'll continue to thicken (just a bit) after it cools down

Hope that helps!

I'm no "pro," by any means, but I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the system I use. Any more questions, feel free to ask, man. I'd be glad to answer them as best I can. That's what this is all about! :party:

How is the mash kept from rising in small bits through the brine? I don't see any cheese cloth or anything below the leaves.Also, does it not try to mix when you pour the brine in? Thanks in advance for the answers.

I push the cabbage leaves in tight enough so they "grab" the walls of the inside of the jar and can't move. That's what keeps the mash from rising without having to use cheesecloth or weights (wedging the cabbage in there)

Yovgottaburn said:
Also, does it not try to mix when you pour the brine in?
Gotta be honest, not quite sure what you mean by this ^. Does "what" not "try to mix in"?

Back