• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting MikeUSMC's Ferments (pic heavy)

What's up, gang! Hope you don't mind, but I was kinda hoping to set up shop here, with the fermenting crew! Just officially joined THP today, but I've been lurking for quite some time, and you guys gave me enough confidence to start making/bottling my own stuff. Huge thanks in advance to all of you guys! You guys rock.

Anyway, here's a few concoctions I've been working on for the last year or so. All hobby stuff; mostly gifts for friends and family. A lot of these have been bottled up and given away already, but I thought I'd share what I've been working on so far. Here goes.....

My signature sauce ("Original Recipe"):
Douglahs, Chocolate Scotch Bonnets, pineapple, raisins, sweet onion, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, agave nectar, molasses, sea salt, Moscato wine (brine), powdered LB packets (starter)

Another few-
Red: Smoked red bells, smoked Red MoAs, smoked 7 Pot Lavas, sweet potato, roasted onion, roasted garlic, honey, sea salt, Moscato brine
Green: Blackened tomatillos, blackened Poblanos, jalapeños, and Scotch Bonnets (all green), sweet onion, roasted garlic, pineapple, cilantro, agave nectar, sea salt

Hobby labels for those ^:

My latest one (just processed about a week ago, not bottled yet):
Scotch Bonnets, golden raisins, baby carrots, red onion, fresh garlic, yellow bell pepper, yellow mustard, ginger, turbinado sugar, sea salt, ground turmeric, Pinot Grigio brine

Looked crazy, hahaha

I've got a few more ideas up my sleeve, and a freezer full of pods from last season! Thanks for looking, everybody!

I just got back from a week long vacation in SoCal. The morning we left, I drove down to National City (section of San Diego) and cleaned out the Vallarta Market of all of their fresh Manzanos, and mailed a 6lb box of them back to my house in CT :)

I'm really looking forward to this one:

-3lbs Manzanos
-1/2 cup agave nectar
-1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
-4g probiotic powder (starter)

That's it.
"K.I.S.S."

I don't plan on adding anything at all during the final processing/bottling. I'm really aiming for that fantastic straight Manzano flavor. The other 3lbs got halved, seeded, and frozen this morning until the next time I fire up the smoker.

I did leave about a half dozen out to snack on raw (my God, they're delicious!) or to make a few ground sausage and cheese stuffed poppers

No starter, just the agave and salt?

MikeUSMC said:
I just got back from a week long vacation in SoCal. The morning we left, I drove down to National City (section of San Diego) and cleaned out the Vallarta Market of all of their fresh Manzanos, and mailed a 6lb box of them back to my house in CT :)

I'm really looking forward to this one:

-3lbs Manzanos
-1/2 cup agave nectar
-1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt

That's it.
"K.I.S.S."

I don't plan on adding anything at all during the final processing/bottling. I'm really aiming for that fantastic straight Manzano flavor. The other 3lbs got halved, seeded, and frozen this morning until the next time I fire up the smoker.

I did leave about a half dozen out to snack on raw (my God, they're delicious!) or to make a few ground sausage and cheese stuffed poppers

I put everything (peppers, any veggies- onion, garlic, carrots, etc.) into the food processor and chop until it's in 1/4" pieces. Transfer everything into a big mixing bowl, then add any sugar (agave nectar, honey, brown sugar, whatever) and stir it all up to get everything coated and sticky. THEN, I add the powdered starter and salt (all "dry" ingredients), and stir it all up again so it binds to the veggies/peppers. Then spoon it all into the (sterilized) jar. Top jar off with brine if necessary

:cheers:

Thanks! I usually add a little extra sugar (agave nectar, in this case) right up front to give the LB something to chomp on immediately and get them multiplying ASAP. Another reason I do that is because I tend to go pretty light on the salt.

I usually let 'em run for 90 days, but I'm gonna have a really tough time waiting for this one, haha! I absolutely LOVE Manzanos, but I've never had a Manzano sauce. I'll let it go for at least 60 days though ;)

Got a couple more going today.

Another batch of my Original Recipe (left)
First stab at this next one: Black Cherry Bourbon Vanilla (right)

I'm thinking cheesecake, ice cream, and probably pork. Made with smoked Cappuccino Scotch Bonnets (soaked in bourbon), black cherries, a few red bells, onion, smoked garlic, agave nectar, brown sugar, and sea salt. Gonna add the vanilla at processing

Group shot of everything I've got going on right now, plus I just got a dozen more airlocks in the mail yesterday ;)

Thanks for looking, everybody

Back