• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can someone help me save my chilli plant?

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me. I am by no means green thumbed, but i try to grow chillies all the time. My chilli plant lives in my window as it gets a bit of sunlight that way, but i live in the UK so it's never exactly hot.
It's been growing since April 2016, and yet in the last week it's taken a really bad turn. There's no bugs or anything that i can see, and it just doesn't look healthy anymore.

If anyone has any advice i'd be willing to try anything.

I used to feed it plant food one a week, and recently i switched to another one but same brand...Do you think this could be the reason?

https://ibb.co/mAwGi5

Well, She does look bad but not dead. Pull all of the dead, discolored, yellow and brown crap off, pull any fruit off and maybe some new soil. A nice healthy, well draining soil. Do you have a fan on it?

Also, Is that one plant or many?? If its a few of them, it may be getting root bound.

If the plant or plants are from 2016, they are pretty crowded in that container. You would have better results with one plant in a larger container. Also, it doesn't appear you are getting the benefit of the container you are using as a whole. Fill it to the top. you are cheating the plant of foot room.

Thanks a lot for all the advice! Based on the feedback I guess it's a combination of it outgrowing the bucket pot and me effectively poisoning it with too much feed. By pulling off brown stuff would that include some of the stems too? There's no fan on it, and it was from a few seeds so there's a few plants.

I'm going to take on the advice you've, and hopefully have my happy plant back.

I agree with the above advice. Overcrowded and overfertilized. Probably also overwatered if you're watering in the fertilizer every week. Only water when the pot is getting dry and light. Overwatering will rot the roots out from under the plant. It might be a good idea to pull the root ball out of the pot and give it a look/smell. Rotten roots will be brown or black and have an unpleasant, putrid smell.
     At this point it might be a good idea to pull the plants apart and select one that looks the healthiest, clean its roots and transplant it to fresh soil. Otherwise start over with a new plant. You should be able to find capsicums in garden centers this time of year.
     Good luck!

I didn't realize you were using a bucket. Do you have drainage holes in the buttom? If not that is your key issue. I would remove the whole root ball, make sure whatever container you are going to use has ample drainage, fill the container half full of a good draining potting mixture (if you have access to mycorrhizae, I highly recommend using it here). Then select the best plant of the group you have and carefully remove the rest from the ball along with any excess dirt. You may if it is easier, cut the other plants at their bases leaving only the one you chose. Now repot the plant so it's crown is just below the top of the bucket and the growing mix is just below the crown of the plant. Top and trim branches back half way. It may seem drastic, but you will see drastic results and be happier with you plant and the peppers to come from it.

Back