• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Please help me figure out Dosing

I am finally ready to start supplying nutes through my drip irrigation to my plants in a 5-1-1 mix. I have them on 1gal emitters for 30 minutes a day (zone 10b). My big hurdle has been a feed injector on the cheap but reliable. I finally got a MG feeder inline

1L9xbKO.jpg

Here is where I need the help.

I am currently using Dyna-Grow and they say
Irrigation Injector: (1:100 ratio) Mix 10 – 18 fl. oz. per gallon of water to make an injectable concentrate.

ok, now, the MG flow rate (fertilizer to water) is 325:1 per their website. 

What mixture do I do? I literally have no idea how much I should mix. Can anyone help?

juanitos said:
you simply need to concentrate the normal dosage 325 times.

aka 325 tsp (54.2 oz) into one gallon for your injector

Go slow with me. I don't understand.

If they say 10-18 oz per gallon to make an injectable solution, does that mean that they figured that on a standard 1000:1 system and this one is 325:1 so I should mix it more diluted? Or what?

I mean, do I put the 10-18 oz of mixture in a gallon then put that at 325 tsp per gallon?

for a normal injector they are usually at a 100:1 ratio
that means they mix 100 tsp (16.6 oz aka why they said 10-18 oz) into 1 gallon of stock solution 

=========================

forget whats on the label. all you need to know is 1 thing.
how much fert do you need for 1 gallon of mixed solution.

1 tsp of dyna gro for 1 gallon of water.

you injector mixes 1 gallon of stock solution for every 325 gallons of water.

that means in your 1 gallon of stock solution needs to be 325 tsp + some water to get to 1 gallon.

juanitos said:
for a normal injector they are usually at a 100:1 ratio
that means they mix 100 tsp (16.6 oz aka why they said 10-18 oz) into 1 gallon of stock solution 

=========================

forget whats on the label. all you need to know is 1 thing.
how much fert do you need for 1 gallon of mixed solution.

1 tsp of dyna gro for 1 gallon of water.

you injector mixes 1 gallon of stock solution for every 325 gallons of water.

that means in your 1 gallon of stock solution needs to be 325 tsp + some water to get to 1 gallon.

So that is just about 50 / 50. That's easy.

768 tsp is a gallon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Just remember if doing it this way that you are only using FEED setting the once per week (or however many times you would normally give nutrients using your stock solution) not every time you water - If you are wanting to use feed setting all the time you will want to figure out how many gallons of water per week you give the plant and adjust the concentration so that it gives that much feed per weekly water cycle.

IE. You mention

I have them on 1gal emitters for 30 minutes a day (zone 10b).

So you are giving them 0.5 gallons of water per day ( 30 minutes at 1 gallon per hour )  - So would be giving them 3.5 gallons per week and would want to dilute the mix 3.5 :1 if wanting to be using a constant feed setting ! 

JDFan said:
Just remember if doing it this way that you are only using FEED setting the once per week (or however many times you would normally give nutrients using your stock solution) not every time you water - If you are wanting to use feed setting all the time you will want to figure out how many gallons of water per week you give the plant and adjust the concentration so that it gives that much feed per weekly water cycle.

IE. You mention

So you are giving them 0.5 gallons of water per day ( 30 minutes at 1 gallon per hour )  - So would be giving them 3.5 gallons per week and would want to dilute the mix 3.5 :1 if wanting to be using a constant feed setting ! 

So, according to the label -

• Hydroponics: Mix 2 – 3 tsp. per gal. of water for recirculating systems or 1 – 2 tsp. per gal. for non-recirculating systems depending upon growing conditions.
  • Siphon Mixer: (1:15 ratio) Mix 2 – 4 fl. oz. per gallon of water for a concentrate feed solution.
  • Irrigation Injector: (1:100 ratio) Mix 10 – 18 fl. oz. per gallon of water to make an injectable concentrate.
  • Foliar Application: Mix ¼ – ½ tsp. per gallon of water and spray directly of leaves.
  • For outdoor applications in soil, feed 1 – 2 tsp/gal with every watering.
That was the info I was basing the above calculations for every day. Is that wrong? What do you think the proper dosing would be?

JDFan said:

IE. You mention

this is wrong...

mixrate is not determined by time / water used. 

Irrigation Injector: (1:100 ratio) Mix 10 – 18 fl. oz. per gallon of water to make an injectable concentrate.

According to label but your injector is 1:350 not 1:100 so you would want to make your mix 3.5x as strong -- so 35 to 63 oz. per gallon of injection mix

EDITED to fix to 350:1 not 325:1

JDFan said:

According to label but your injector is 1:350 not 1:100 so you would want to make your mix 3.25x as strong -- so 32.5 to 58.5 oz. per gallon of injection mix
This is partially why I was so confused. I don't know if it makes a difference that they say it is the flow rate verse mix rate but yes 325 : 1.

I'm guessing so that they can mix their fertilizer a little more diluted in force you to buy bottles more often. I don't know.

mas_fuego said:
This is partially why I was so confused. I don't know if it makes a difference that they say it is the flow rate verse mix rate but yes 325 : 1.

I'm guessing so that they can mix their fertilizer a little more diluted in force you to buy bottles more often. I don't know.

Actually the one you have is made to use a more concentrated solution so would mean less bottles. - It is really designed to be used only once in a while to inject the feed not to be used always as an injection system ( thus the feed/water switch ) - You would normally use this type of system to water daily and then once a week or every 2 weeks change the switch to feed for 1 watering to give nutes. unlike a true injection system designed to be used for every watering.

I ran it today and one 30 mintue run uses about 4 ounces. Not an exact number.

Does that help at all? Right now I have it mixed 1 part fert 2 parts water.

mas_fuego said:

That number is oddly accurate. Yes.
So, it turns out my time was only set for 8 minutes. Now that I am running out for 30, it uses about 10 oz of concentrate.

well the mixer is not very accurate i'd say, you bought the cheapo depo version of an injector lol.

just do the math

num drippers  * 1 gph * 1/2 h  = whatever your net flow is

how much nutes do you need for that net flow 1 tsp per gallon

how much stock did the mixer use? 10 oz? so add your nutes and how ever much water to get to that. 

juanitos said:
well the mixer is not very accurate i'd say, you bought the cheapo depo version of an injector lol.

just do the math

num drippers  * 1 gph * 1/2 h  = whatever your net flow is

how much nutes do you need for that net flow 1 tsp per gallon

how much stock did the mixer use? 10 oz? so add your nutes and how ever much water to get to that. 

The math is easy now. What I don't quite know is how much to give plants every day? In your experience, is the injector mixture they recommend for daily use? I am going to order that dry mix you recommended and figure a way to plumb a larger stock tank.

I simply cannot rationalize that $350 injector you have. I will roll the dice with a venturi injector first.

Back