New to Pepper Growing

Hello everyone!
Brand new to the site and to pepper growing. I'm a veteran vegetable gardener in Sonoma County, but this is the first year I've attempted to grow my own pepper.
I was inspired last year when a friend's bumper crop of peppers produced so much that he was giving them away in grocery bags.
I had no idea what to do with mine so I made some simple (and amazing) sauce. So this year I'm growing my own.
In the garden I now have:
Jalapenos, cayenne, birds eye, habanero, scotch bonnet, ghost, chocolate ghost, and cherries.  Which I believe closely approximates what my buddy gave me last year.
Good to be here and I have a ton of questions on growing peppers in a mild climate like ours, which I'll direct to the proper forums.
Thanks!

welcome-flame-3_zpsbeyevpzf.gif

Sunward33 said:
Hello everyone!
Brand new to the site and to pepper growing. I'm a veteran vegetable gardener in Sonoma County, but this is the first year I've attempted to grow my own pepper.

Good to be here and I have a ton of questions on growing peppers in a mild climate like ours, which I'll direct to the proper forums.
Thanks!
Do a quick search, top right of every page, and post in appropriate heading.> Hot Peppers a great area for pepper growing questions.

Welcome! I live in Miami now but used to grow peppers in Virginia. Biggest thing for your situation is to watch out for lower temperatures. Anything below 65 and we'd move our peppers inside for the night (assuming you're growing in pots). Outside of that with your experience you probably know what to do about pesticides and fertilizer but for peppers a lot of people are fond of Neem and I've had a lot of success with fish emulsion. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbarnes5 said:
Anything below 65 and we'd move our peppers inside for the night (assuming you're growing in pots).

I've actually got them in the ground. We've been having some hot weather lately. Days in the 90s but nights in the 50s. The plants look healthy and a couple have started to flower, but there hasn't been much growth. I would have expected them to have gained some height and bushed out a bit by now.  

It could be the cold at night, I know that always shocked our plants in VA. I don't have experience with planted stationary peppers but you might want to research insulation techniques. I know there are certain solutions for making sure cold outside temperatures don't affect plants too much. Let me know how it goes and definitely check out fish emulsion...my plants love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back