• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The Dual Burger Duel

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would cheesus do?

1276878_126036177567157_398520831_o.jpg

MM was right on it, earlier this weekend, though - plan was going to be to deep fry the beignet bun in beef tallow on the live-fire table in a D.O. ...

Had some House of Autry breading located in the pantry-room for shoe string onion or whatever you call them ...

The GrillGrates were out because I thought it would be fun to sprinkle more julienne onion in the channels of the GrillGrate to get some of that onion-vapor like for sliders, while searing off butter burger patties over 100% cherry and suugar maple ...

Still want to try that, but I'm not comfortable with an open fire at table height in the carport (and it's raining), but especially not with an assload of tallow over the flame ...

Maybe if I hadn't already called 911 for a BBQ-related house fire this year! ;) ...

G.I.P.'s   Juicy Lucy's  two ways

1sdxnF3.jpg

Ingredients and POL (notice it's an Australian Penny ;) I thought it fitting since i was competing head to head against an Aussie :D )

BQajFI3.jpg

Burger prep:
4 patties made, two with cheese crumbled into them(1; Monterrey pepper-Jack W/ added fresh peppers from this years plants, the other: cheddar)

3QZ6tMp.jpg

Patties fully formed with all that goodness hidden inside, and Bacon blankets weaved.

0F3GaIN.jpg

Burgers in the cast iron on grill sideburner with some Jalapenos blackening up in the pan with em

1QYz9Db.jpg

Bacon blankets and sliced Jalapenos on the grill

Su2q4Us.jpg

Buns toasted on the grill, then prepped
(Texas Creek chipotle BBQ sauce and grilled Jalapeno slices for the Cheddar Juicy Lucy, and Brainstrail Aioli, lettuce and tomato for the Monterrey pepper-Jack W/ added peppers Juicy Lucy)

Kn1Zo0G.jpg

Juicy Lucys with their Bacon blankets 

NeHZ8hQ.jpg

All stacked up and ready to be Devoured 

6jsuqIf.jpg

Juicy Lucy #1 (with Monterrey pepper-Jack cheese, fresh peppers from the garden, Brainstrain aioli, lettuce, and tomato )

MiKvl2i.jpg

Juicy Lucy #2  (with Cheddar, Texas Creek chipotle BBQ sauce and grilled Jalapeno slices

A little background on the Juicy Lucy, for those that didn't know what a Juicy Lucy is;
Two bars in Minneapolis, Matt’s and the 5-8 Club, have competing claims to being the creator of the infamous Juicy Lucy burger (or Jucy Lucy, depending on whom you’re talking to)
Whichever version you prefer, these cheese-stuffed burgers ooze cheesy goodness with every bite!  :dance: 

Tips/hints:  :) 
While American cheese is standard in a Juicy Lucy, other cheeses that melt well, such as cheddar or pepper-jack, can be (and IMO should be) substituted.
You want to use some fatty beef like 75/25 i used 73/27 as thats what was available
If you can get your butcher to do a coarse fresh grind for you, get it !
The difference in quality between fresh ground and the pre measured 5lb packaged "logs" of ground beef (even with same fat %) is pretty striking. Tightly packed beef shrinks during cooking, squeezing out juices and fat. Fresh ground meat, on the other hand, has a much looser texture. As it cooks, fat melts, forming little nooks and crannies in its internal structure for juices to rest in, rather than being forced out of the patty.
So, while making the patties, keep in mind you want the cheese to not ooze out of the patty while cooking, but you also dont want to compact the meat too tight.

Also, make sure the burger patties rest after cooking so that the juices redistribute in the meat and the cheese isn’t dangerously hot when you bite into the center.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my Juicy Lucy burgers
:cheers:

Everybody's bringing their "A" game to this TD so far. Awesome job, everyone. Some great entries all around

Grant, I'd be willing to bet that about 3K of your 40K+ posts on this forum have been related to/leading up to your TD entry for this month, haha. I think it goes without saying that a lot of us are expecting an entry that's gonna blow everybody's wigs back! I hope you don't disappoint ;) (says the guy who didn't even enter :rofl: )

I'll start looking forward to your entry for the next TD starting now! ;)

Really.

D says she won't plunge the meat bundles into the grinder so I can manipulate a tray to keep the strands parallel ...
In fairness to her, she barely consumes meat any longer, and never interacts with it beyond dumping packages of ground into a pan ...

She's a veg who still likes tacos and chili, functionally ...

grantmichaels said:
I'll start looking forward to your entry for the next TD starting now! ;) 
I really wanted to enter my tacos from Cinco de Mayo into last month's, but 1) they weren't ground/minced, and 2) I ended up bringing that whole dish to a friend's house for a party.

This month, it was too chaotic. Just getting home from the hospital from the surgery, I couldn't enter with any real confidence. I didn't even know if I'd be walking yet

I know, I know- more excuses than OJ headed to prison.....:rofl:

MikeUSMC said:
I really wanted to enter my tacos from Cinco de Mayo into last month's, but 1) they weren't ground/minced, and 2) I ended up bringing that whole dish to a friend's house for a party.

This month, it was too chaotic. Just getting home from the hospital from the surgery, I couldn't enter with any real confidence. I didn't even know if I'd be walking yet

I know, I know- more excuses than OJ headed to prison..... :rofl:

Two lines into that sob story I was hearing the silent voice in my head, "wow - not the response I'd expected from a marine!?!!?" :D

MikeUSMC said:

I know, I know- more excuses than OJ headed to prison..... :rofl:
Hey now.
https://youtu.be/VWCYv40Ur1g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back