• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Disease Question - is this BER or something else?

Hello all,

This is my first season growing peppers, and I think I've encountered my first diseased pod. Is this blossom end rot? If not, what might it be, and should I take any steps to prevent this from occurring on other pods and plants? All advice is appreciated!

-Dash (in NM)

HeZF6jO.jpg

No not BER. What type of pepper is it?
Some Thai or bird peppers or even Goats weed peppers sometimes ripen funny like that going from a kinda brown to black and then finally to red.
Give it a couple days and see what happens

Hawaiianero said:
No not BER. What type of pepper is it?
Some Thai or bird peppers or even Goats weed peppers sometimes ripen funny like that going from a kinda brown to black and then finally to red.
Give it a couple days and see what happens
Thanks for the information. I'm not exactly sure what type of pepper this is, because the label is for Aji pineapple, but the leaves are different from the other plants that came from the same seed packet. Maybe I mixed up a seed/label somewhere, so who knows. I think the fruit are larger than aji pineapple, but I'll measure it tonight or tomorrow morning and post some data. 

-Dash

Gorizza said:

I think I want to disagree.  This could be the first stage of BER. Keep an eye on it and if it turns black or white in the next day or two, then cut it and fertilize with calcium nitrate.
Thank you for the advice. I'll keep an eye on it, try to get some pictures if possible, and post an update.

-Dash

Gorizza said:

I think I want to disagree.  This could be the first stage of BER. Keep an eye on it and if it turns black or white in the next day or two, then cut it and fertilize with calcium nitrate.

In any case waiting a couple days will reveal what's really happening.
Like you say, if it is ber then calcium will fix it.

Back