• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Pepper Plant Sagging, Curling Leaves, and White Spots

Hello community.

How do you attach images to these posts?.... cant find an attachment button or even how to add photos to my gallery. Will post pictures once I figure out how......

This is my first year growing where I care about the plants production. Lets get some info out:

Sweet Mini Bell Pepper Plant in 3.5 gal.
Black Gold Potting Soil:   0.13 - 0.04 - 0.13
1/8 cup of Dr. Earth Organic Tomato/Pepper Fert.: 4 - 6 - 3 worked into top 2-3 inches of soil (1 inch away from trunk to not burn it).
I am watering every other day with about 30 oz of tap water unless its cold out then about every third day (same amount). 

To start I potted them when it was warm out then like Oregon, it got cold. The daily high was 65 for 7 days and the low was almost to 40. I could not bring them inside because my cats would eat them. During that cold week it was super windy so I bought a stake and drove it carefully and slowly through the soil and zip tied them together loosely.

Now its back in the 80's. The plant sags after about an hour of direct light so I keep them in partial shade all day. They're beginning to bud white flowers which I am pollinating by hand via Q-tip.

Today I noticed these white, silvery spots on the plants leaves. mostly on the upper leaves. Also some leaves are curling. IM AWARE OF THE APHID AND AM SEARCHING HIGH AND LOW TO KILL HIM AND HIS FAMILY! MUAHAH! 

Is this a symptom of nutrient lockout, improper pH, or calcium deficiency? Or will this go away with maturity? I've read all of the forums and everybody just goes back and forth with no real solution. I am trying to go all organic (or as much as I can). Id rather have the plant die than use a chemical that I will later ingest. 

I am going to the store to buy a pH kit  because why not but I was under the influence than a soil grow with regular watering will maintain a pH from about 6-8. shows how much I know...

Oh and Im growing Anaheim peppers next to this Bell and the Anaheim is looking great!!!

Judging by your description, it sounds to me like you're experiencing some sunburn. Drooping, curling, and "silvery" are all signs of this.

Thank you Bhuter,

I was just going to edit my OP and ask about sun burning. I was feeling the leaves a little more and noticed holes in the white spots and they're crispy just like dry leaves. 

couple questions if anyone has the time:

Is this because as soon as I potted it it got really cold for a whole week and now the sun shocks them?

Is possible that because my patio faces west-south-west that the sun doesnt hit the plant till about 1pm. so all of the sudden they are getting heated by peak sun hours? raising their internal temp too fast?

Is the solution to build (I am a handyman) a mosquito-screen awning over the plant?

If it is sunburn, it's because they're not used to the direct sun. Have you hardened them off? Meaning to slowly introduce them to sunlight a little at a time, then a little more and so on until they can stay out all day.

Nope. Was not aware of this process.

I bought it when it was already about 6-8 inches tall and it was at an outdoor nursery so I figured it was already acclimated. I guess that really cold week threw off their mojo. Tomorrow is going to be about 95 degrees. I'll till keep it outside but in total shade unless I am suggested to do otherwise.

I think you are exactly correct. It probably was acclimated already, but that cold week coupled with all day shade after may have gotten them used to the cold/shade again. As you know, afternoon sun hours are extreme, so I would start introducing them to direct sunlight in the morning or evening hours. Start with one or two hours a day, then add an hour a day. This whole process is a PITA and takes 1-2 weeks. I hope your high temps don't make it more difficult.

I have a question about fertilizing.

I potted the pepper in regular potting soil as mentioned above. It took be about 5 days to purchase the above fertilizer. So Since potting my peppers have only had 1/8 cup of fertilizer, total!

That was about 3-4 weeks ago. Ive been watering every other day or every third day. As of NOW I have 3 blossoms per plant which I hand pollinated back and forth from each plant (1 entire blossom fell off the heat damaged plant so I hope these ones hang on). So I have 3-ish blossoms on each plant.

When should I fertilize next? now or in a week? how fast do the nutrient wash out via watering? should I just use another 1/8 cup and work it into the top 3 inches or do I need more or less? All the specs (other than pics) are in the OP. 

Back