• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed from frozen fresh peppers

Well the title kinda says it all. Are the seeds from (freshly) frozen peppers still viable? I had to throw a bunch in the freezer because I didn't have any plans for them yet, but I'd still like to take the seeds from them. Do any of you guys have experience with it?

Oh I was wondering if that happened with pepper seeds in their natural environment. I can imagine it doesn't freeze that often in Brazil for example. But thanks! I can save some more seeds then.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Before storing seed, it is important to ensure that seeds are dry so as to avoid that the embryo may be damaged by ice crysteals

Seed storage should be done in a cool, dry place away from light. Seeds can even be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
It is recommended to use hermetic glass jars (especially for refrigerator or freezer storage) to minimize seed exposure to moisture.

floricole said:
Before storing seed, it is important to ensure that seeds are dry so as to avoid that the embryo may be damaged by ice crysteals

Seed storage should be done in a cool, dry place away from light. Seeds can even be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
It is recommended to use hermetic glass jars (especially for refrigerator or freezer storage) to minimize seed exposure to moisture.
Okay so the seeds in my frozen pods are dead, is what you're saying?

I dry my seeds and freeze them for storage purposes, but the very first ones i froze were fresh and i was still able to get around 1 in 10 to sprout. Id say dont give up, just try germinating a lot more than normal

floricole said:

What floricole said is absolutely correct.  If seed contains moisture, when that water freezes it expands and tends to destroy the seed from the inside out.  However, some -may- survive.  If for what ever reason you goofed or changed your plans, you can thaw and give them a shot.  Sometimes something will come of it.

If it is something common, probably best to just order in new seed stock.  But if it was something special, I would go ahead and try it.  After all, what do you have to loose?

b3rnd said:
Okay so the seeds in my frozen pods are dead, is what you're saying?

AJ Drew said:
What floricole said is absolutely correct.  If seed contains moisture, when that water freezes it expands and tends to destroy the seed from the inside out.  However, some -may- survive.  If for what ever reason you goofed or changed your plans, you can thaw and give them a shot.  Sometimes something will come of it.

If it is something common, probably best to just order in new seed stock.  But if it was something special, I would go ahead and try it.  After all, what do you have to loose?
as AJ Drew explained

AJ Drew said:

Thanks AJ and Floricole! It wasn't anything special, I just threw them in the freezer without thinking about removing the seeds first. Just some normal red habs, not a problem at all. Will have more ripe ones to save seeds from soon!

Thinking on this conversation I have to ask: Isn't Mother Nature amazing?  If freak early freeze takes place before pods have time to dry on their own, entire variety of plants could be lost.  So she builds in some sort of mechanism to protect from that happening.  Well, that or the plants which did not get that protection died off after that freak freeze.  Either way, we have an amazing planet here.

AJ Drew said:
Thinking on this conversation I have to ask: Isn't Mother Nature amazing?  If freak early freeze takes place before pods have time to dry on their own, entire variety of plants could be lost.  So she builds in some sort of mechanism to protect from that happening.  Well, that or the plants which did not get that protection died off after that freak freeze.  Either way, we have an amazing planet here.

We certainly do AJ! The vigor of plants just every time shows me how wonderful life is. I'm always amazed at how some plants manage to grow on brick walls or between concrete slabs. Simply awesome.

On the topic: How is it with seeds from pods that ripen off the plant? Are they viable?

I started plants this year from seeds from frozen peppers. They were frozen since last season. The peppers were dried before I froze them and I just took them out from the freezer and left them for a couple of days before planting.

Back