• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Red Jalapeno and Super Chile!!

I only have about 5-6 ripe Jalapenos atm and a good sized handful of ripe Super Chiles which are rather hot. Im gunna make a very small test batch since i have loads of green jalas this year. The ripe ones ive tasted were pretty sweet.

Ripe Early jalapeno
Ripe Super Chile
1 Ripe NuMex64
White onion
Probably a little heavier on the garlic and salt for this one.
Tiny bit of chipolte powder for just a hint of smokey

If my guess is correct this will be a fairly hot red jala sauce. Im just a little concerned it may turn out sweeter than i want. I may leave out the vinegar for the cook down and taste it first. If its too sweet i can put it in a jar with a lacto culture for a week or two.

On a side note. I tasted a couple more Lumbres and man these are hotter than my jalapenos!!! I probably wont have any ripe ones for awhile though.

Started today and cooking down now

120 grams ripe Early jalapeno
40 grams ripe super chile
46 grams ripe Cajun Belle (deseeded)
2 tiny cherry tomatoes
1 TBS dehydrated onion flakes
1 TBS (heaping) Korean Gochu flakes
1 TSP (heaping) garlic powder
1 TSP sea salt
1/2 TSP cumin seed
1/4 TSP chipotle powder
1/4 TSP annatto powder
A little over 1 cup 50/50 white vinegar/water

Low boil 10min and simmer for another 45min or so.

Finish with fresh lime juice and sugar if needed after cooling, blending and straining. It should not need any sugar but hard to tell until it get the lime juice. Normally i don't use white vinegar but i was concerned about being too sweet with the ripe jalapenos.

Blended and strained today.

Added
Juice from half a lime, around 2-3tbs
Tiny bit of water to rinse out the NutriBullet....Sauce was a bit too thick anyway.

Sweetness is now on the backend and the chipotle is very faint. Slight tomato taste remains but the lime helped a ton. Heat i would say is a bit over Tabasco but not much. Ended up with a little over a half quart.

Pairing
Tacos...oh yeah
Tamales....Yeah that might be lunch. Ive got some awesome tamales i can steam.

Oh, silly me...I almost forgot. :D
O0nsW37.jpg

vlJFobs.jpg

Round 2

1qt freezer bag of ripe Mucho Nacho and Chichimeca jalapeno..around 500-600grams
50 grams of super chile and Tabascos peppers mixed
1 heaping tbs minced garlic (fresh)
1 medium white onion...a little over a cup (chopped)
60% water and 40% white vinegar...just enough to cover
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1 heaping tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp chipolte powder
Heaping tsp of imported tomato paste in a tube.

4 hours in a 2qt slow cooker on high..it never got above a simmer. Its only a 95watt model. I went easier on the vinegar this time so i could add more lime juice after blending and straining..

Blend and strain today. Initial tasting says its really hot for a jalapeno hot sauce. Some bitterness from what i think is the super chile or Tabasco seeds..Probably gunna use either honey or agave nectar to take the edge off. Next batch im going to use a hab type pepper to kick up the heat.

Blended and strained yielded almost exactly 1litre of hot sauce.

Back