8 replies to this topic

#1 Slug

Slug

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:13 AM

Because it goes from a little nub to a jalapeño looking thing in a couple of days.

"Meh!" you say.  You've seen much cooler peppers and you can buy those at a supermarket.

Then it starts to rebel against smooth supermarket jalapeño stereotypes:

83g7rvT.jpg

Same pepper, a week later.  Corked all to heck and about twice the size:

RTc5LuK.jpg

Then it gets even cooler...but you'll have to wait.  This plant just finished fighting off the mother of all aphid infestations, so it's running behind on production.

Edited by Slug, 02 August 2017 - 01:18 AM.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Codeman

Codeman

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:23 AM

WOW! Thats cool! how hot is it to compare say a mammoth jalapeno?

#3 Slug

Slug

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:34 AM

WOW! Thats cool! how hot is it to compare say a mammoth jalapeno?

I find they tend toward the same heat as most other jalapeño varieties, but with a slightly better flavor than what you'd get at a grocery when ripened all the way to red.  By the time they hit that stage; they're often completely covered in corking and look like someone glued potatoes to your pepper plant, thus the alternate name of 'Potato Jalapeño'.  :D

The plant itself looks cool, as well.  Leaves and stems are hairy like a pubescens and it has huge flowers for a pepper plant.  I'll try to get shots of mine tomorrow if weather permits, but it looks rough due to aphid carnage.

#4 Peter_L

Peter_L

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:40 AM

I have one as well and I am really interested in the taste. I've heard that they have a sweeter or slightly more fruity taste than "store generic jalapeños" have. Unfortunately, mine was also set back quite a bit this year so I'll have to see if I get one.

It's a unique pod for sure!  

#5 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,731 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

Whoa. That jalapeno is "The One!"

the_matrix_code.jpg

#6 kentishman

kentishman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

Nice pics Brian. I have some nicely embroidered pods on my plant from the seeds you sent me. They started off smooth and I thought they weren't the real deal. Then they started corking. I agree with you that the foliage is attractive, almost like a pubescen.

How are the Amarillos doing?

#7 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,696 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

We have a thread on that type of Jalapeño discussion about a year ago, they look great :)

#8 Slug

Slug

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

I have one as well and I am really interested in the taste. I've heard that they have a sweeter or slightly more fruity taste than "store generic jalapeños" have. Unfortunately, mine was also set back quite a bit this year so I'll have to see if I get one.

It's a unique pod for sure!  

Yeah, they're definitely sweeter than a garden variety pod and lean to the milder end of the spectrum.  Especially if you let them go fully ripe to red.  Texture is pretty dead-on cantaloupe, which I never really thought about until a conversation I just heard outside.

:cool: "Don't that thing look like a cantaloupe to you?  Dude done mad scienced a melon pepper."

:) "You think it taste good?  Bet he'd give us some."

:cool: "Helllll no!  The Mexicans don't even eat his stuff, fool. Say it's too hot.  Let's go."

And as they were walking off...

:) "If he eat all those things, you think a cop sprayed him he just walk through it like he dusted?"

:cool: "From stories, I think if a cop SHOT that dude he just walk through like he dusted and they be apologizing. Got nothing to do with peppers."

I love my neighbors.  :rofl:

#9 Slug

Slug

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

Nice pics Brian. I have some nicely embroidered pods on my plant from the seeds you sent me. They started off smooth and I thought they weren't the real deal. Then they started corking. I agree with you that the foliage is attractive, almost like a pubescen.

How are the Amarillos doing?

Amarillos are healthy, loaded up, and ripening.  Hope to start having pods late this week.  While I was recovering from surgery, the largest plant grew into two others for support.  I now have an 'Aji Amarillo Fatalii Yellow 7-Pot BBG bush' of considerable size.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests