• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The KAOS Bonchi - It's a Ghost

I guess it's about time I start. I'll be using bonchis almost exclusively to overwinter. I don't have the proper pots or anything yet, so right now is mainly prepping for that.

Main candidate

20171102_00393250c7affbf2039edd.jpg

New graft on it

20171102_0106580cd4737b93582e42.jpg

I'd love to bonchi this if it survives

20171102_011720cb810e9cd128f7aa.jpg

I'm gonna overwinter this anyway, so why not bonchi?

20171102_01180073d15ce245a4a1a4.jpg

I'd love to make a baby tree out of this, but it's a big tree and I'm not sure how I could stimulate growth in the lower part and I'm hesitant to chop off well over half of the plant and all of its branching and foliage.

20171102_011814c72dff11a1e946a6.jpg

peppamang said:
KAOS the moss might look like it's dying but it almost always comes back. When it starts to darken mist it with a spray bottle. most moss goes into a desiccated dormancy 

If you want healthy lush moss spritz it with either rainwater or distilled water (without added sodium) when it dries out. From what i hear tap water isn't great for it

Thanks for the info and link Peppa, but moss got chucked. Half survived and half browned away.

IdahoPepper said:
That is an amazing Bonchi.I love the way that you did the root system. I look forward to seeing updates with peppers on it.

Thanks Idaho. I'll post some more pics when she gets some pods ...

AndyW said:
I guess it's about time I start. I'll be using bonchis almost exclusively to overwinter. I don't have the proper pots or anything yet, so right now is mainly prepping for that.

Looking good Andy. Some nice plants there. Can't wait to see progress pics.

Bad news on my side though and I think it's down to the moss primarily.
Bonchi leaves have started dropping off and others getting spots on them.
The mix I was using was also peat heavy and decided to go back to my tried and trusted combo.
When I repotted the peat mix was quite wet (as expected ?) We learn from our mistakes I guess.
This may have contributed and I'm certain it didn't really help matters.
Right now the plant looks like a cockatoo that's plucked all it's feathers so I will have to nurse it a bit.

article-0-078751CA000005DC-566_306x423.jpg

Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this thread again, KAOS :cheers:

Here's the same NuMex Twilight plant I'd overwintered and "Bonchied" last year (pics on page 2 of this thread). Frost warning last night, so I dug it up to Bonchi again this winter.

Candidate:
IMG_7451.JPG

IMG_7452.JPG

Softball under the root ball. I'm really trying to get some big, thick roots under this thing so that they can be exposed, above the soil line, in the future. It's taking a lot longer than I'd anticipated though
IMG_7453.JPG

IMG_7455.JPG

Guess I'll see what happens at the end of the year, next year haha
IMG_7456.JPG

CRF granules and cinnamon to deter fungus gnats indoors
IMG_7457.JPG

We'll see what happens. Wish me luck!
IMG_7458.JPG

:cheers:

Back