• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wrinkled Jalapeno Leaves

I started this Farmer's Market Jalapeno plant from seed in mid to late July. It is now ~8.5" high and I've been slowly pruning it to shape.

However almost since the beginning it has had some wrinkled/wavy leaves, and some with holes in them. It almost drowned for a couple days before I brought it inside; we had some heavy rain. I was able to dry it out though. At first I thought it was a calcium deficiency, so for the past week I've been feeding it CALiMAGic with every watering. I also fertilize with Chili Focus every week at 5mL/Liter dilution. It has also started flowering at the meager height of ~8.5" (I've been pinching those off as they appear; so far about two dozen).

Do you guys have any thoughts? Also, should I be pruning this new growth near the base of the stem? It seems awfully close to the soil.

http://imgur.com/a/xPqEE
Sorry for the picture quality. I had to put my grow room color correcting lenses in front of my camera to get remotely decent shots; the contrast is a bit crushed

Crispee-FL said:
Hard to tell but kinda looks like my plants when the aphids were having their all you can eat buffet on my plants
Yeah it does look like aphids damage...

Check out under the leaves and see if there are aphids... otherwise it could be calcium deficiency

Any suggestions on how to get rid of them filthy rotten suckers with the least amount of collateral damage? Google seems to be rife with conflicting suggestions. I'd hate for them to spread to my hydro peppers two feet leftwards.

Any thoughts on whether to keep or nip off those baby shoots near the base?

squeakygreens said:
Any suggestions on how to get rid of them filthy rotten suckers with the least amount of collateral damage? Google seems to be rife with conflicting suggestions. I'd hate for them to spread to my hydro peppers two feet leftwards.

Any thoughts on whether to keep or nip off those baby shoots near the base?

I can't help you with how to kill them all because I use a homemade organic insectiside made in by a guy here in my city.

about those shoots, I always leave them. some will remove them to improve air circulation on the base of the plant.

After inspecting every nook and cranny, there were no aphids in sight. It's very strange: during inspection, a tip of one of the leaves (which was fine this morning) was simply hanging by a thread, like it has some sort of necrosis. I've attached some more images of the damage (leaf tip I just mentioned can be seen image #2).

Fungal? Bacterial spotting? After effects of overwatering?
http://imgur.com/a/z0CXa

It might be an overwatering, or maybe a nutrition unbalance ? Be aware that CALiMAGic contains N and it happened to me that I sprayed them too often and all leaves wilted.

Did you come to a conclucion? Looks like overwatering. never nip off baby leaves for whoever's reading. They can be your last hope in some cases.

Back