• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

help with my new sauce

Hi all, I've made a hot sauce before (basically orange hab, garlic & cider vinegar), it was pretty much all heat, not much flavor, so im looking for something super hot, but i need some flavor this time. heres what i got so far, based on the peppers ill have available within a couple months:

8-10 bhut jolokia (slow intense heat & flavor)
4 cayenne (flavor)
4 orange habanero (additional dimension to flavor)
3 cloves Garlic
1/4cup pineapple
1 white onion
1 carrot
1tbsp dried rosemary (powdered in mortar)
1/4cup brown sugar
1/8cup lemon juice
sea salt
1/2cup cider vinegar
1tbsp E.V. olive oil

any suggestions for additions or subtractions for the recipe?

Sounds interesting!

Rosemary has such a strong flavor, it either goes great or horribly with other flavors. NO MARGIN FOR ERROR.

It may be great! Don't let me scare you, but thyme would seem to fit better to me.

Other than that, some mango? Maybe lime juice?

Maybe give it a dry run with everything but the peppers you lack and see how it is.

yeah i was unsure about the rosemary, i really started using it in virtually everything i cooked for teh past year, and figured since it was on my quick list of spices, that i might try it out in a sauce; thyme did cross my mind when i was thinking this sauce up; thanks for the suggestions

Thyme is more in line with a jerk kind of sauce, not that that means you have to use it!

Let us know how it turns out.

I've got some mellowing now that was pretty experimental.

My mom and dad now have this smoothie blender. So when our power was out a few weeks ago, I ended up over there with 7 or so 7 pots and nagas.

I took the last of a mango, orange smoothie my mom made and blended in the peppers and some salt and some miller lite.

The first taste was good, but it really tastes great now!

Sounds like more of a marinade, and not sure how the pineapple will play into those other flavors, but experimenting is fun.

thanks for the suggestions guys, I've actually never done anything with safron before, ill have to check it out, ive modified the sauce recipe a bit:
5 parts bhut jolokia (slow intense heat & flavor)
3 parts takonatsume (flavor)
2 parts orange habanero (additional dimension to flavor)
4 cloves Garlic
1/4cup pineapple
1 white onion
1 carrot
1tbsp dried thyme
1/2tbsp dried oregano
1/4cup brown sugar
1/8cup lemon juice
sea salt
1/2cup cider vinegar
1tbsp E.V. olive oil
so ill be putting everything in the sauce except the bhuts since they arent ready yet and trying it out to see how well the flavors merge or conflict, ive got plenty of takonatsume & orange habs to throw in it, once i get everything all cozy and warm and tweak the recipe ill dump some bhuts in there and see how well it goes, might be worth making more than once... wish me luck
also i realized that there were not enough peppers in the original recipe, so i changed it to "parts" instead of actual numbers, so ill be making it up as i go with quantities; the limiting factor of course being my bhuts, it depends on how many they produce, and how quickly

i dont have a digital scale at my disposal, but ill be as meticulous as possible with my data, if it turns out good ill let you guys know; i need to find a supply shop local to me for some hot sauce bottling supplies

Hi Sid03SVT,

Your recipe sounds great! I´d love to eat it but if you want some opions i have some. (no offense, im just trying to improve, im sure it taste absolutely perfect!) :shocked:

It seems to be a bit to much garlic for my taste. I´d reduce that! I would exclude the olive oil - for storage you might end up with some nasty looking sauce when the oil ends up at top :(

And... i dont like cider vinagre, i prefer malt vinagre. But now i´ve just modified your great recipe to how i would make it.

And, like all the others have said, i´d exlude the rosemary aswell. I´d use thyme or oregano instead.

Thanks for inspiring! Im about to make some experiments with tamarind and chillies :)

uUu said:
Thanks for inspiring! Im about to make some experiments with tamarind and chillies :shocked:

Sweet tamarind or just tamarind? Around here there are tons of mexican candies made from tamarind & chile powder. Definitely a good combination. I'd probably use regular tamarind as opposed to sweet tamarind if you're making a sauce. Tamarind is used in making pad thai sauce and is pretty sour. I can't wait to see how that works out for you.

Txclosetgrower said:
Sweet tamarind or just tamarind? Around here there are tons of mexican candies made from tamarind & chile powder. Definitely a good combination. I'd probably use regular tamarind as opposed to sweet tamarind if you're making a sauce. Tamarind is used in making pad thai sauce and is pretty sour. I can't wait to see how that works out for you.

Well, i think this is a science by itself. We have got ~10 different relatives in our stores to what you call tamarind and i actually dont know what you call sweet and sour tamarind :)

I will be using really sweet tamarind-looking fruits!

Sweet or sour actually dosent matter to me. I´ll balance it perfectly anyway in the end :) I´m a trained chef and have been a professional in sweden and spain for 6 years until i started school again. When i quit being a chef, cooking become fun again and i´m always coming up with new things and my lunch-box is always the topic at everydays lunch at work.

Cooking is to much fun to be a chef!

This is the first time i´m experimenting with tamarind and i´ve only got borings chillies atm: jalapeno, pirri-pirri & cayenne. But,,, i´m expecting a big shipment next week with Fatalii, different Habs, Red Scorpion, Rocoto, Naga Morich etc from a fellow swedish grower. Man,,, there´s gonna be alot sauces and chutneys the upcoming weeks.

sid - your asking for opinions, so just gonna give mine.
the recipe looks good but not enough chiles!!!
- seems like alot of brown sugar if you ask me
- I like onions but 1 whole onion seems like too much for this recipe
- increase the vinegar & lemon juice, or use lime juice &/or red/white wine vinegar

other than that good luck to you & hope it turns out to what you want.

Back