• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

issue Indoor grow - is this the cause of too much light?

I have a 3.3' x 3.3' tent with 2x Mars 300 LED Panels (300W advertised, 132W true draw). My lights are as high up as I can get them (3-4 feet over the canopy). One of my plants is loosing alot of its color on the top leaves. It's been going on for a while. I've read about too much light bleaching the leaves, and was curious. Does this look like the effect of too much light? Or some kind of nutrient deficiency / genetic mutation? Should I even worry about this or just let it do its thing.

White Fatalii:

Gv1zyj8.jpg

UP89K2A.jpg

U8o3qrW.jpg

What are you feeding them and what is your feeding /watering schedule?
And what changed from seedling to this point?
What is the total output lumens of your entire system?

CAPCOM said:
What are you feeding them and what is your feeding /watering schedule?
And what changed from seedling to this point?

On alternating weeks:
1/2 diluted MG tomato, usually once biweekly, sometimes less often.
Epsom salt foliar spray, once biweekly

But I haven't sprayed epsom salt in a while because everytime I would spray, the next day several leaves would have dead spots. You can see this on some of the leaves in the pic. I just realized recently that when I spray before the lights go out, it doesn't happen.

They were potted up and moved from a storage tote setup, to a tent. Twice the light but also 6x the space. They were doing fine in there for about 4 weeks before the color started changing

Each light is 5911 lumen advertised. I have 2 so around 11800
Par: 493µmols at 18''

Also the tent isn't completely filled with plants (yet)

7FvKC3y.jpg

cooked said:

On alternating weeks:
1/2 diluted MG tomato, usually once biweekly, sometimes less often.
Epsom salt foliar spray, once biweekly

But I haven't sprayed epsom salt in a while because everytime I would spray, the next day several leaves would have dead spots. You can see this on some of the leaves in the pic. I just realized recently that when I spray before the lights go out, it doesn't happen.

They were potted up and moved from a storage tote setup, to a tent. Twice the light but also 6x the space. They were doing fine in there for about 4 weeks before the color started changing

Each light is 5911 lumen advertised. I have 2 so around 11800
Par: 493µmols at 18''
What about watering? Any idea what your soil pH is?

CAPCOM said:
What about watering? Any idea what your soil pH is?

I wait until it starts to wilt slightly, then the pot in a big bowl of tap water. Sucks alot of it up.

For Soil PH not sure, I never tested and don't have a tester. I use Pro-Mix HP, here are the ingredients
  • SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS (65-75%)
  • PERLITE
  • LIMESTONE
  • WETTING AGENT
  • MYCORRHIZAE - GHA297 TECHNOLOGY

There in may be the problem. Plants will stress out when infested with pests. And produce physiological symptoms.

The problem now is not treating for something that may not be the problem in the first place.

I would totally eradicate the pest first and provide the plants with a recovery time frame. nothing else may be necessary after that but the plants will be more healthy when that determination can be made.

CAPCOM said:
There in may be the problem. Plants will stress out when infested with pests. And produce physiological symptoms.

The problem now is not treating for something that may not be the problem in the first place.

I would totally eradicate the pest first and provide the plants with a recovery time frame. nothing else may be necessary after that but the plants will be more healthy when that determination can be made.

Ok, thank you. The thrips should be killed of soon hopefully. I just did my first spinosad treatment a few days ago, and see much less

cooked said:

Ok, thank you. The thrips should be killed of soon hopefully. I just did my first spinosad treatment a few days ago, and see much less

Good luck on that. I have heard they are next to impossible to get rid of. Manageable numbers is the best to hope for.

I'd guess a fert. problem.
Mag. and calcium get obsorbed by the same receptors in a plant.
Too much of either locks the other out.

Could be soil PH too.
Not a lighting problem....

I NEVER foliar feed plants,run off goes in the soil...screws stuff up Big Time!

I think is underlying nutrient lockout. But treating two different issues at one time is never advisable and many times creates more issues. And pests get in the way of everything.

Most of my leaf problems have been from over watering, the plant roots cannot get the oxygen the plant needs and the leaves start dying off. This happened to my tomato plant, I put the plant outside and the plant recovered pretty nicely. The sun really helped the plant and now that cold weather is here the plant is inside and has a few tomatoes on it. What is at issue is balancing the light and the water so the plant can thrive.

Back