Shorerider

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 2,274 posts
  • (x2)

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:31 PM

^
That's called rot lol!

If the peppers you grow rot in your fridge in one week I would recommend you buy a new fridge :P . Where does someone who doesn't have a kitchen keep their fridge anyway?  :rofl:

GIP was saying you make a killer strawberry rocoto sauce. I don't expect you to share your recipe, but do you ferment the strawberries and rocotos, or add them fresh when making the sauce? I have a freezer full of ripe de seeded Pubescens ready for the Winter, and I wanted to give a strawberry rocoto sauce a shot.

I've only ever made it once and GIP actually got more of it than I did.   :rofl:

It wasn't a fermented sauce, all the ingredients were fresh and I even hand picked the strawberries myself  :P . From memory it was more strawberries than Rocoto's, something like 2/3 strawberries to 1/3 Rocoto's (you can adjust this to your preference), ACV, some orange and lemon juice, and heaps of sugar. Think of it as a smooth, liquid jelly/jam.

I'm not a huge fan of heat with sweets or deserts, it's something I'm not accustomed to. There were quite a few people that really enjoyed it, just not my personal taste I guess.

SR. 

🤠 Oi, that's not a noife.

#22 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

If the peppers you grow rot in your fridge in one week I would recommend you buy a new fridge :P . Where does someone who doesn't have a kitchen keep their fridge anyway?  :rofl:

I've only ever made it once and GIP actually got more of it than I did.   :rofl:

It wasn't a fermented sauce, all the ingredients were fresh and I even hand picked the strawberries myself  :P . From memory it was more strawberries than Rocoto's, something like 2/3 strawberries to 1/3 Rocoto's (you can adjust this to your preference), ACV, some orange and lemon juice, and heaps of sugar. Think of it as a smooth, liquid jelly/jam.

I'm not a huge fan of heat with sweets or deserts, it's something I'm not accustomed to. There were quite a few people that really enjoyed it, just not my personal taste I guess.

SR. 

Thanks for sharing! That seems pretty similar to a jelly, except without the pectin. I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

#23 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,903 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

Lots of awesome stuff going on in this thread, TGCM! Nice work
:cheers:

Someone's jelly.

:rofl:

#24 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:50 PM

Someone's jelly.

What can I say? I still don't have my own Pubes :mope:

J/K :rofl: TGCM did send me a shit ton of seeds though (and pods and jelly!) Some "bullet proof" Pubescens varieties I'm looking forward to trying to grow next year. :pray:

I tried Rocotos and Orange Manzanos here last year, and the Summer was just too hot

Edited by MikeUSMC, 20 October 2017 - 09:53 PM.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."
-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis (to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2006)

#25 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

What can I say? I still don't have my own Pubes :mope:

J/K :rofl: TGCM did send me a shit ton of seeds though (and pods and jelly!) Some "bullet proof" Pubescens varieties I'm looking forward to trying to grow next year. :pray:

I tried Rocotos and Orange Manzanos here last year, and the Summer was just too hot

All of the Pubescens seed varieties I sent you are very productive, and will definitely give you pods here in the NE.

I haven't had any luck growing manzanos here, though. The plants get huge, but I only get a handful of pods from them. I've grown both the red and orange varieties, but they don't seem to like my climate at all.

It's interesting since the rest of my Pubescens plants will get so weighed down with pods I have to stake them, and tie the branches up to support the weight.

#26 Bob_B

Bob_B

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

TGCM - are those Arequipa Rocotos in the initial photos?

#27 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

There are definitely some rocoto arequipeño pods amongst all of those pods. I grew at least 10 different Pubescens varieties last year, and that is a mix of a bunch of different cultivars.

Here is a pic of some Pubescens I picked from my garden this afternoon. The larger red rocotos on the right side of the pile of Pubes, that kind of look like tomatoes, are rocoto arequipeños.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171022_154354.jpg

#28 Bob_B

Bob_B

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

Beautiful - I have some of the seeds you sent me germinating.  I hope I have the same results!

#29 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

Some finish product. I've been gifting these for Christmas. Everyone has told me they love it. My wife designed the labels.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171220_132902.jpg

#30 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

My wife designed the labels.

Nice! They look great! Now tell her to get crackin' on your homebrew labels ;)
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."

#31 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

Nice! They look great! Now tell her to get crackin' on your homebrew labels ;)

Lol! She already did make labels for Christmas presents. She made labels for meads, pomegranate wine, grape wine, pepper jellies, and other stuff we gifted.

#32 Friday

Friday

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

Wow after reading your first post it occurred to me that fermenting a pepper mash doesn't actually require the addition of water. For some reason I've always purree'd peppers and poured salt water brine over them when bottling it. I thought if air contacted the mash it could aid bacteria growth? I guess with the proper salt content it doesn't? 

Would you be willing to share what quantity of salt you combine with what quantity of peppers? Thanks

#33 Rabbit91476

Rabbit91476

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

what are the advantages of a year ferment vs 2-3 months?

#34 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,903 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

what are the advantages of a year ferment vs 2-3 months?

time

#35 tctenten

tctenten

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

time

Thats just wrong on so many levels.....but I like your style....

The flavors mellow and meld together. You get a much smoother flavor in my opinion

#36 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:21 PM

Aroma.

#37 tctenten

tctenten

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

Aroma.

Mike dropping the hammer!!!!

#38 Rabbit91476

Rabbit91476

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

Tctenten. My response was similar. I like the idea of fermenting just the peppers. This play around with multiple recipes later. I may do a one gallon habanero mash to experiment with. Later

#39 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

Mike dropping the hammer!!!!

The (US)MC HAMMER!

IMG_5161.GIF

#40 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,903 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests