•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards ACCEPTING ENTRIES!

Photo

Habanadas

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 loki1982

loki1982

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

I ordered some seeds today and came across a variety that is new to me.  Anyone grown Habanadas, the Habanero with no heat?

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 40,977 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

:welcome:

:cheers:

#3 loki1982

loki1982

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

:welcome:

Thanks.  Im a lurker.  Been reading a lot but never posted until today.

#4 Hawaiianero

Hawaiianero

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

Well it was just a matter of time..... :welcome:

Sorry can't help with the question

I've got Trinidad Perfumes that are very chinense flavored but no heat whatsoever.

#5 loki1982

loki1982

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

Well it was just a matter of time..... :welcome:

Sorry can't help with the question

I've got Trinidad Perfumes that are very chinense flavored but no heat whatsoever.

Well from what I found so far these are supposed to be super sweet.  I am trying to imagine a Habanero flavor without the heat and I just cant imagine it.  I also picked up some reapers, I tried growing them last year and the 5 seeds I had, none sprouted.  And I got some Trinidad Moruga Scorpions Chocolates.  Then several sweets.  I'll get some generic jalapenos and orange habs from a local store.  That will pretty much fill up my pepper space in the garden.

#6 peppamang

peppamang

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

I grew them. tbh, I wouldn't call it habanero heat. It has the c. chinense smell for sure, so you cut into it and you're expecting heat based on that spicy odor, but flavor is a little different. It has a similar taste but I feel that "heatless hab" is a misleading name for them. 

They go from pale green to peachy to a dark peach/orange. If you decide to grow them, don't leave them on too long. I'd pick them when they first get peachy, where I find the flavor to be the nicest. The riper they are, the sweeter they get. And I'm talking candy sweet, but the flavor gets more like celery/fresh cut grass. Left a ton on for way too long before the season ended for them and they tasted like sugar coated lawn clippings. 

If you're looking for a sweet c. chinense variety that has good flavor and low heat, grow Aji Jobito. Definitely my favorite from my last season and I plan on growing at least 3 or 4 next year. 

#7 loki1982

loki1982

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

I grew them. tbh, I wouldn't call it habanero heat. It has the c. chinense smell for sure, so you cut into it and you're expecting heat based on that spicy odor, but flavor is a little different. It has a similar taste but I feel that "heatless hab" is a misleading name for them. 

They go from pale green to peachy to a dark peach/orange. If you decide to grow them, don't leave them on too long. I'd pick them when they first get peachy, where I find the flavor to be the nicest. The riper they are, the sweeter they get. And I'm talking candy sweet, but the flavor gets more like celery/fresh cut grass. Left a ton on for way too long before the season ended for them and they tasted like sugar coated lawn clippings. 

If you're looking for a sweet c. chinense variety that has good flavor and low heat, grow Aji Jobito. Definitely my favorite from my last season and I plan on growing at least 3 or 4 next year. 

Thanks!

#8 peppamang

peppamang

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

I can send you some seeds if you're interested just PM me. 

#9 Jase4224

Jase4224

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

+1 on the Aji Jobito they are awesome

I will add however with this one the longer you leave it in the plant the better the flavour IMO wait for it to go almost orange for the most complex flavour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests