• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting LED Grow Lights Distance From Plants

Quick question. The closer the led grow light is to the plant the better? Or should I keep some distance from the plant?
Thanks.

I guess it all depends on the output of the unit.

The120W full spectrum light I started out with could sunburn leaves at 300mm.

My current unit is running at 200W and it's about 600mm from top of leaves and all seems fine.

I think most companies advertise recommended distances for their lights but it all depends on a few things like how powerful it is, is there some kind of optic that spreads the lights out etc.

But if you have the ability to change the height, i would simply just go as low as you can while still lighting up all the plants without sunburning them.

yes it depends on how powerful the light is. look at where you got it and see if it has a recommended distance

Its a 36w led bulb and I checked and it has a very wide-ranging suggested height of 1.7 to 5 feet. I guess I'll keep it around 2 feet.
Also, what would the plant look like if it was getting too much light from the led? Yellow leaves at the top of the plant I would guess, right?
Thanks again.

The bigger the plant gets the closer you can move the light, but probably best not to get closer than 10 inches. I'd try between 14 and 18 inches as long as the core illumination covers the whole plant. Some of those low wattage lights have a pretty narrow footprint, while others are more like flood lights, so it can depend on the reflector angle.

It seems to light up a pretty big area, but I have nothing to compare too. The user guide says it will cover 4.6ft squared at 5ft distance, with 2700lux. At 1ft distance it will cover 1ft squared, with 36750lux. Are these numbers good? I have no clue, Im just getting into growing.

*Edit*
It also says the beam angle is 60 degrees.

Ronin said:
Its a 36w led bulb and I checked and it has a very wide-ranging suggested height of 1.7 to 5 feet. I guess I'll keep it around 2 feet.
Also, what would the plant look like if it was getting too much light from the led? Yellow leaves at the top of the plant I would guess, right?
Thanks again.

You going to get some of this action if it's too close

Ghostburn.jpg

I'm interested to see specs on that light. I'm assuming it's one of those E27 PAR38 units with the fins.
I played around with a couple of them a while back and depending on what you wanting to achieve it may not be enough lighting.
There was a thread in the last couple of weeks - guy in Denmark that got good results on minimum lighting. I'll see if I can find the thread.

EDIT - Here it is - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66032-dobondos-100-led-indoor-glog/

He used 3x36W and 3x18W so six bulbs in total (72W actual power draw). Very impressive minimalist grow.

KAOS said:

You going to get some of this action if it's too close

I'm interested to see specs on that light. I'm assuming it's one of those E27 PAR38 units with the fins.
I played around with a couple of them a while back and depending on what you wanting to achieve it may not be enough lighting.
There was a thread in the last couple of month - guy in Sweden that got good results on minimum lighting. I'll see if I can find the thread.

EDIT - Here it is - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66032-dobondos-100-led-indoor-glog/

He used 3x36W and 3x18W so six bulbs in total (72W actual power draw). Very impressive minimalist grow.
It is one of that kind of lights and I will be using it for a single plant. Do you think I'll need more than one?
And here is the link again if you didn't see my last post.... https://www.taotronics.com/TT-GL23-Plant-Grow-Lights-36W-E27.html

From my testing I could scrape by with 20W (real power) 5500K LED lighting for a 400mm x 400mm space (about one plant size).

With a Grow Light (selective light bands) you should just get by with your 36W (16W real power) for one plant.

No matter what you're using, start out farther away to be on the safe side. I just fried the hell out of some MOA Scotch Bonnet seedlings. Totally killed all but one of them, I think. This was with a 65w (actual watts) 4000k LED board. I have these same lights much closer to mature basil plants without any issues.

I didn't realize how sensitive the seedlings were going to be. They got absolutely scorched. Weird thing is some yellow 7 pot primos & bubblegums were more directly under the light @ roughly the same distance and are fine.

Back