OMFG You can build your own six-pack at Central Market

I was at central market today and while perusing their awesome selection of beer I saw this previously unnoticed barrel full of empty six-pack containers that said "Build your own". I immediately sprung wood and had to find someone who worked there to confirm what I was seeing was real. It was true. You CAN mix and match six packs.

Here is what I got for right at $10:

Left to right (click for beeradvocate.com review):
1.) Victory Golden Monkey(B+/B-)
2.)Victory Storm King Stout (A/B+)
3.)Lagunitas "Censored"(B+/NA)
4.)Lagunitas Sirius cream ale(B+/NA)
5.)Dogfish Head Midas Touch(B/B)
6.)Pete's Wicked Wanderlust Cream Ale(C+/C+)
2942574023_f485162e85_b.jpg

Update: Drank the Lagunitas "Censored" first: Overall a pretty good beer, not my favorite style, but would drink it again.

Just poured the Victory Storm King stout, and it's gorgeous. It is pitch black with a brown head. One of the darkest beers I've seen, I have a 3 watt LED flashlight, and I can't even see the faintest hint of light if I try to shine it through the glass.....amazing.

Btw, it's friggin delicious. I give this a solid A. One of the more drinkable stouts I've tried.

2943607478_1d174eb222.jpg

(I had to set it on that white lid as a contrast so you could see how brown the head really is)

Those are some great beers...besides Pete's (haven't had that particular one) and Midas Touch. I really tried to like that MT from DFH but I wound up pouring the last bit of it. Too strange for me.

I have a bottle of the Storm King in my room now...that is some excellent stout!

Places that let you mix and match are great. It isn't very economical but it beats having to buy a 6 pack of all those beers without knowing if you like them.

millworkman said:
You can do that at any Food City and a bunch of other "Ale" stores around here.

Nice. I just moved to Austin back in August, so I'm still adjusting to having awesome stores everywhere. Coming from Waco where you're hard pressed to find a good beer period, I'm in awe of this newfound ability to mix & match great beers. :onfire:

xgrafcorex said:
Those are some great beers...besides Pete's (haven't had that particular one) and Midas Touch. I really tried to like that MT from DFH but I wound up pouring the last bit of it. Too strange for me.

I have a bottle of the Storm King in my room now...that is some excellent stout!

I got the Midas Touch on recommendation of a friend, I'll get back to you on what I think of that one.

I just picked what sounded good, I didn't take the time to look any of these up while I was at the store. I'm glad I chanced upon that Storm King. Stouts normally aren't my favorite kind of beer, but this one really might convert me.

looks tasty, let me know how the cream ale is, I've been hooked on St. Peters varieties of beers lately, but am always up for a stout, specifically coffee, or imperial
man i really need to brew another batch of beer....

Sid03SVT said:
looks tasty, let me know how the cream ale is, I've been hooked on St. Peters varieties of beers lately, but am always up for a stout, specifically coffee, or imperial
man i really need to brew another batch of beer....

That Lagunitas Sirius is Siriously good. :rolleyes: Heh it's a really good beer that I wish I could still get my hands on.. They have several Lagunitas on sale here but I haven't seen that one. Try it if you can.

xgrafcorex said:
That Lagunitas Sirius is Siriously good. :rolleyes: Heh it's a really good beer that I wish I could still get my hands on.. They have several Lagunitas on sale here but I haven't seen that one. Try it if you can.

I've had it once at The Flying Saucer down here in Austin. It was outstanding. I was having a hard time choosing something so I told the waitress to bring something good and that's what I got. Never had a cream ale before that. I saw Sirius in the store once before but I was too broke to buy it and once I got paid it was all gone :( Lol, I was so excited when I found it today, it wasn't in the fridge with the rest of the Lagunitas beers. I ended up emptying out a six-pack of the Sirius ale and carrying my beers in that, I wanted the box to decorate my cube at work :cool:

The cool thing about the single beers at Central Market is that the most they charge is $1.79. So if you find something that normally goes for 10 bucks or more a 4-pack ( like that Midas Touch, forinstance) you're getting quite a deal.

it pays to look through their singles. :cheers:

Justin,
A 6'er for $10 bucks? it better be top-notch! I always go by the 'buck-o-beer' philosophy but since the hop shortage and the downtrodden economy I will go $6.99 or $7.50 or pass until next time but YMMV. If you are going to go Lagunitas, better get the IPA or Maximus or nothing at all...IMHO....I love both, brewed up the road in Petaluma!

Way out west we like the HOPS! But wintertime air calls for the porters and stouts...

That said, if you are going for the stouts (I like them in late Nov/early Dec) there are a bevy of Imperial stouts, Cream Stouts, and Porters from The Golden State (including Stone, Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, etc) but the stuff from across the pond such as Mackeson XXX stout is nothing short of killer! It literally tastes like chocolate and coffee, unlike anything I have ever had!

Txclosetgrower said:
Update: Drank the Lagunitas "Censored" first: Overall a pretty good beer, not my favorite style, but would drink it again.

Just poured the Victory Storm King stout, and it's gorgeous. It is pitch black with a brown head. One of the darkest beers I've seen, I have a 3 watt LED flashlight, and I can't even see the faintest hint of light if I try to shine it through the glass.....amazing.

Btw, it's friggin delicious. I give this a solid A. One of the more drinkable stouts I've tried.

2943607478_1d174eb222.jpg

(I had to set it on that white lid as a contrast so you could see how brown the head really is)

Damn that looks Darkly delicious,Love stout just tried Guiness red er a ruby stout but not a great taste :lol:

Back