•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Photo

Anyway to save my pickled Bishop Crowns?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shaggs2riches

shaggs2riches

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • aka:shaggs

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

We did our first batch of pickled peppers a couple months ago. Today I finally decided to open a jar and give them a test. Turns out that they taste like nothing but vinegar. It was extremely hard to put down and had zero flavour otherwise. We have used the same recipe for beets and they turned out fantastic. I have 6 pint jars of the peppers. I'm wondering if there is anything one could do to them as I open each jar without causing it to spoil real fast. Definitely going to find a better recipe for next year.

Edited by shaggs2riches, 25 December 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,861 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:16 PM

We did our first batch of pickled peppers a couple months ago. Today I finally decided to open a jar and give them a test. Turns out that they taste like nothing but vinegar. It was extremely hard to put down and had zero flavour otherwise. We have used the same recipe for beets and they turned out fantastic. I have 6 pint jars of the peppers. I'm wondering if there is anything one could do to them as I open each jar without causing it to spoil real fast. Definitely going to find a better recipe for next year.

You might want to take test one jar and dump the vinegar then replace with water and put em in the fridge for a couple days or a week.  The water will leech some of the vinegar out.  If they are nicely crisp and good texturally then they'll stay that way in the water and after the soak they might not be so unpalatable w vinegar.  

I'd also recommend saving that vinegar you pour off - it's great splashed onto fries/salad dressings/sauteed greens of all kinds.  :)

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#3 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,243 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:58 PM

even if all you made was pepper infused vinegar it's not a loss. there are lots of ways to use it 

i personally prefer to use pepper infused vinegar's in marinades, or just a drizzle on rice :)

but the vinegar tasting peppers can probably still be used in sauces as well (with less and possibly no added vinegar)

Firstly, find the nearest bin and toss that thing you call a phone. Then buy a Samsung.  :rofl:

#4 Masher

Masher

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Pickled peppers and a TBLS of that vinegar are great in bloody mary's

#5 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,441 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

What SnF said and maybe add a tablespoon of sugar to the repla ement water.
PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#6 Hawaiianero

Hawaiianero

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

What SnF said and maybe add a tablespoon of sugar to the repla ement water.

Yea all of the above....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests