21 replies to this topic

#1 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,752 posts
  • aka:Da Boss's Dad

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:02 AM

In another forum, there is mention of a Carmel Carolina Reaper.  Anyone have any information?

This Year Makes or Breaks Us - Please Share, Link, & Consider

Dragon's Breath, Big Mama, Colorful Reapers: Fresh this Summer

Click here for Peppers by Mail P.B.M.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,455 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:40 AM

:think:

i recently discovered seeds available for a purple Reaper cross

http://www.fordsfier...carolina-reaper

think i saw a caramel reaper cross too but who had it  :think:  it'll come to me...

:onfire:  

#3 BlackFatalii

BlackFatalii

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:41 AM

Yeah, it was mentioned on the "Hot Ones" YouTube show earlier today: https://www.youtube....h?v=G3Fc_eOkM8M It is apparently yet another of Ed Currie's unreleased peppers. It is supposed to be hotter than the standard Reaper.

If you wanted something obtainable that you can actually grow, Justin has a pretty evil looking caramel Reaper cross available on his site here: https://www.whitehot...el-reaper-cross

#4 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,455 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:45 AM

Yeah, it was mentioned on the "Hot Ones" YouTube show earlier today: https://www.youtube....h?v=G3Fc_eOkM8M It is apparently yet another of Ed Currie's unreleased peppers. It is supposed to be hotter than the standard Reaper.

If you wanted something obtainable that you can actually grow, Justin has a pretty evil looking caramel Reaper cross available on his site here: https://www.whitehot...el-reaper-cross

that is the Caramel Reaper cross seeds i was thinking of

thanks BlackFatalii

:onfire:  

#5 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

So we know there is a red, chocolate, peach, purple, and yellow.  Where is white?

#6 PepperLover

PepperLover

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

So we know there is a red, chocolate, peach, purple, and yellow.  Where is white?

working on it :)

SAM_0753.jpg 

PepperLover.com

#7 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

working on it :)

I read and probably on your site, that you were working on lots of whites.  I dabble with crossing, but rarely know what to expect ahead of time.  I would think white is wildly recessive.  Is there some guidance you could lend? 

I used to breed chicken.  One of the techniques for bringing a recessive gene out was called line breeding.  If it were as simple as a gene for red and white chicken, you would breed a red and white and get all red offspring.  But then if you bred the offspring back to the white parent, you would start to see white off spring faster than if you bed off spring to offspring hoping for recessive genes to match up.

Same concept?  You know it is weird.  One would think that plants are simpler than animals, but chicken dna seems amazingly simplistic compared to other things.

#8 Pepper North

Pepper North

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

I had one plant throw these coloured pods in 2017 from a pack of Chocolate Reaper seeds direct from PuckerButt. Not saying they are Caramel Reapers and they tasted awful.

caramelfromchocolatereaper.jpg

Pepper North Artisan Foods - www.peppernorth.com - "Keeping you warm in the great white north."

26 x Hot Pepper Award Winner including Best Overall Hot Sauce & Best Product Line!

#9 spicefreak

spicefreak

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

Leftmost looks both caramel and like a Reaper. The others are a little off.

Not saying that it's a Caramel Reaper but it sure looks like what I'd imagine one to be.

#10 Pepper North

Pepper North

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

Leftmost looks both caramel and like a Reaper. The others are a little off.

Not saying that it's a Caramel Reaper but it sure looks like what I'd imagine one to be.

Yeah I agree, I saved a bunch of seeds and I'm debating whether to grow any this year. The taste was very floral, not really to my liking.

Pepper North Artisan Foods - www.peppernorth.com - "Keeping you warm in the great white north."

26 x Hot Pepper Award Winner including Best Overall Hot Sauce & Best Product Line!

#11 spicefreak

spicefreak

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

How much yellow and how much brown in their ripened state? If they're hot and will take a purple hue well, I'd be interested in maybe growing some for my own breeding project and keeping a few uncrossed on the side.

#12 RalphTheChilihead

RalphTheChilihead

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • aka:White Chocolate

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:42 AM

I only two things I grew that had a caramelish color was defcon 7 and madballz 7pot.... Haven't gotten my hands on any caramel varieties...

#13 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

I'd sooner pass bladder stones than grow Reapers... BUT I do feel strongly that these particular pods ought to be called Carmelina Reapers.

Edited by Bicycle808, 12 January 2018 - 08:40 PM.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#14 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

From what I have read, random mutation is incredibly rare.  So I think what this thread is showing is that either the dna of peppers is far more complicated than most of us think or bees and other insects are far better at cross pollinating things than we think.

#15 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

I was taught, ages ago, that random mutations occur very frequently and that the average human has two mutations going on, whether they are aware of it or not. However, in terms of chiles, I think the idea that all these varieties keep migrating with marketable color variations, is really questionable. Crosses seem more likely, and given the desirability of these color traits, I suspect that growers are responsible at least as often as the bees are.

Edited by Bicycle808, 15 January 2018 - 07:16 AM.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#16 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:22 AM

I was taught, she's ago, that random mutations occur very frequently and that the average human has two mutations going on,

I should have said something like inherent n viable mutations are rare.  If a red pepper has a random mutation that makes it yellow, chances are it either wont pass it on or cant pass anything on.  So ye, I am going with you that what gets to market is likely cross.  At a minimum I bag things with five gallon paint strainers and even that is not 100%.  You do what you can.

If a possum can get into my house, a cross pollinator can get into what ever you use to keep them out.

#17 jedisushi06

jedisushi06

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,252 posts
  • aka:Mikey or Sushi Mike

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

might have come from UrAnus

#18 jedisushi06

jedisushi06

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,252 posts
  • aka:Mikey or Sushi Mike

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

:think:

i recently discovered seeds available for a purple Reaper cross

http://www.fordsfier...carolina-reaper

think i saw a caramel reaper cross too but who had it  :think:  it'll come to me...

I was sent that caramel reaper cross before it was okay.  Purple ones seems like a hoax.  Probably just a reaper plant with a suntan issue.  People are quick these days in the pepper world to make a buck off unstable unknown genetics that they grew out once and got given from someone else's garden.  Jim Duffy pulled this one me already.

#19 labuyo

labuyo

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

Came across this while searching: https://www.whitehot...el-reaper-cross

#20 ButIDontWantAUsernam

ButIDontWantAUsernam

Mild

• Members