•  

Photo

Orange Thai--- help me steer this thing

Best Answer jedisushi06, 04 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

Both are great.  I grew about 9-10 types of thai last season.  Large ones are tasty and low heat.  Small ones are very hot for a thai and lots of seeds.  I say grow both.  My favorite thai is prik chee faa.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

Do i wanna grow the large one or the small one??  I don´t care about the size of the pods at all; i´m just concerned about the flavor. Which one is the good one?

Muchas gracias.

-Rob

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

Not sure about flavor but I like the smaller ones for ease of use. I like adding them whole into stir frys and it's easier to fine tune the heat with smaller pods. They are on my grow list for this year.

#3 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,642 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

The small orange thai I've had are some of the most strongly perfumed annuums I've ever had. However it's very small, thin walled, and seedy.

Where as the large not quite as strongly flavored seems more usable, being big enough to have some meat on its bones.

Either way I'm confident you'll be happy with your choice both are great annuums worth growing IMO

#4 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:14 PM

These are awesome considerations, beyond flavor. Thanks.  I´m amped to get some more opinions and feedback; i´m ordering more seeds tomorrow and i´ll take this thread into consideration as i click on my final decision.

Sometimes, i feel like i over-analyze all this shit, but other times, i think over-analysis of chiles is kinda fun.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#5 Peter S

Peter S

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

I've grown both, and favored the smaller ones for flavor, especially in powder. The plant is really pretty too. Can't go wrong growing either one though.

#6 jedisushi06

jedisushi06

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • aka:Mikey or Sushi Mike

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:13 AM   Best Answer

Both are great.  I grew about 9-10 types of thai last season.  Large ones are tasty and low heat.  Small ones are very hot for a thai and lots of seeds.  I say grow both.  My favorite thai is prik chee faa.

#7 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

.... I say grow both...

It was probably obvious from the start, but this probably is the best answer.  Seeds are cheap, and i can make room....

Thanks y´all; I´ĺl be ordering today.

#8 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

....and, i ordered.

I predict that i´ll be annoyed by the smaller version in terms of processing/deseeding them, but i´d have NEVER gotten over my curiosity about the stronger flavor/aroma of the small strain.  As of right now, i´m planning to start more seeds from the large strain than the small, but i intend to grow both...

#9 Crispee-FL

Crispee-FL

Hot

• Extreme
  • 694 posts
  • aka:Crispee

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

I have the larger variety I love them hot enough to feel a burn with a sweet note. Making Thai basil chicken tonight so I just picked these.D69B71F5-02A3-40AA-B482-7245E923128D.jpeg

#10 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

So effing jealous, Crispee. These things produce fairly early, right?

#11 Crispee-FL

Crispee-FL

Hot

• Extreme
  • 694 posts
  • aka:Crispee

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

So effing jealous, Crispee. These things produce fairly early, right?

Early and in abundant amounts

#12 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

Early and in abundant amounts

I can live with that =D

#13 Muckyai

Muckyai

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

....and, i ordered.

I predict that i´ll be annoyed by the smaller version in terms of processing/deseeding them, but i´d have NEVER gotten over my curiosity about the stronger flavor/aroma of the small strain.  As of right now, i´m planning to start more seeds from the large strain than the small, but i intend to grow both...

Where did you order your seeds? This fits the bill for something I want to grow!

#14 Sinn

Sinn

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:05 PM

Where did you order your seeds? This fits the bill for something I want to grow!

Yes please pass along a link thanks!

#15 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:24 PM

Semillas.de. click on the Union Jack for the English
Language version of the page.

I ordered from semillas last year. Everything grew true, and everything had excellent 90-100% germ rates, except for the white Fatalii seeds which was like 50% or 60%. I was very happy with the stuff I got from semillas for my 2017 grow, so I am happy to have ordered from them again for 2018. It's coming from overseas (Canary Islands), but shipping was included in the price, and I got zero hassles from any regulatory entities.

FWIW, Peter Merle, the head honcho at semillas, is a THP member... He carries alot of stuff that can be very hard to find elsewhere

#16 Sinn

Sinn

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:31 PM

Semillas.de. click on the Union Jack for the English
Language version of the page.

I ordered from semillas last year. Everything grew true, and everything had excellent 90-100% germ rates, except for the white Fatalii seeds which was like 50% or 60%. I was very happy with the stuff I got from semillas for my 2017 grow, so I am happy to have ordered from them again for 2018. It's coming from overseas (Canary Islands), but shipping was included in the price, and I got zero hassles from any regulatory entities.

FWIW, Peter Merle, the head honcho at semillas, is a THP member... He carries alot of stuff that can be very hard to find elsewhere

Thank you!

#17 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:13 AM

YVW

#18 bangbangchabooky

bangbangchabooky

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

I have the larger variety I love them hot enough to feel a burn with a sweet note. Making Thai basil chicken tonight so I just picked these.attachicon.gifD69B71F5-02A3-40AA-B482-7245E923128D.jpeg

Fully grown what is the average size you are getting with these peppers?

#19 D3monic

D3monic

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,146 posts
  • aka:D3
  • (x6)

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

Fully grown what is the average size you are getting with these peppers?

60-70% the size of a jalapeño if I remember correctly

Find me on Instagram

Can I help it if I'm one of those fanatical TD fans?I got my #3 Demonic jersey on, my face is painted, and I cant stop yelling WOOOOOO!!

#20 D3monic

D3monic

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,146 posts
  • aka:D3
  • (x6)

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

Got any seeds of the prik chee faa? Would gladly trade

Find me on Instagram

Can I help it if I'm one of those fanatical TD fans?I got my #3 Demonic jersey on, my face is painted, and I cant stop yelling WOOOOOO!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests